Cheaper edition HM-801? Also some speculation about other chips.
Nov 20, 2010 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vrln

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi Fang,

Are there any plans to create a cheaper version of the HM-801, just like the HM-601? I mean without external output and a small flash memory. I´ve just ordered a RE-ZERO as my first HiFiMan product, but noticed the winter deal so in a way I´d have the opportunity to buy a HM-601 for around 150 dollars. The only problem is that I´m not really a fan of the NOS method, but for that price I might just try it.

That said, now that the HM software is done, I assume the product series is here to stay. I think it´s an entirely untapped area - audiophile portable audio players... Seeing a dual PCM1704 solution in a portable product is really amazing. Congratulations on the good work! Anyway, if dual PCM1704 is possible, maybe you could use a high end Delta-Sigma DAC chip in a similar product as the HM-600 or 800-series. For example the Wolfson 8741 or maybe even the Sabre32?

Best regards,

A curious new customer :)

(decided to post this here instead of a direct email, as I think I´m not the only one wondering about these questions)

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 8
well there's already the announcement of an updated 801 coming with more internal storage, maybe that will have some more changes, and a lower price point, as well.

Nov 20, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 8
Seeing how much the price of the HM-602 dropped after the DAC output was scrapped in the cheaper model, a similar drop for the 800-series would be fantastic. I´ve been checking some energy ratings and if I understood them correctly a double PCM1704 (mono chip) should draw almost twice the power a single ESS Sabre32 would. Perhaps we´ll see one of those in a portable player someday.

Nov 20, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Seeing how much the price of the HM-602 dropped after the DAC output was scrapped in the cheaper model,

The whole reason the price dropped was to try and capture different markets. Each product has it's own little niche, and I can't imagine Fang changing that - rather introduce new players to fill other niches. Also I doubt Fang will change the DAC, he's designed the player to be what he wants and if he wanted it to use a Sabre32 chip or anything else, he would have done so.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 8
I wasn´t really asking for a change in the DAC chip used in the current models. Both the 600 and the 800 series have their own signature sound. I was merely wondering if we could see a neutral line with a modern Delta-Sigma chip at some point (less suited for vocals music, but good for modern pop etc). Since it would be more energy efficient than a dual PCM1704UK solution (don´t get me wrong, I love that chip as a REF7 owner), the player size would be closer to that of the 600-series.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:

(decided to post this here instead of a direct email, as I think I´m not the only one wondering about these questions)

You're definitely not alone. I doubt I would ever use the external output, so a '802' or something that does without it, is smaller and cheaper with more flash memory, THAT would be an instant winner. They're subtle modifications but it makes a lot of difference in terms of justifying $790 for a portable player.

Also, does anyone else know where Fang posts updates on the HM-801? I heard somewhere that the flash memory has increased from 2GB to 8GB due to a lack of 2GB cards, but I could never find the source. Plus, that's a pretty important thing to be aware of if you're thinking of buying the player.

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back