CHEAPER AMP FOR NEW GUY
Feb 15, 2005 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Vinny77

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking into buying the Hd580s and they are expensive enogh. i want a amp that will let me use them at a decent/cheaper price. i really dont know to much about this

Feb 16, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny77
is that amp good or is there alot better, whata re the downfalls to that amp

There are a few threads on this amp try a search on "pocketamp" or gary Ali. I have a version 1 - supposedly inferior, some have reported noise floor issues with this amp. With my V1 I can hear some noise when the volume is very high and the souce is turned on, turning the source off makes almost all the noise go away and for the reamining noise to be intrusive the amp has to be turned up to ear-bleeding levels (for me) with my 580s. It is imo on a par with a CMoy a good entry level amp, I think the CMoy just has the edge but it is slight (IMVHO). I think it is a little bit rough at the frequency extremes. My V1 powers my 580s well enough. The DC adaptor does add some extra noise.

With $100 to play with you may be able to get a better amp if you dont mind buying used, there are dozens of headphone amps on eBay and you could always try the amps for sale forum here.

Feb 17, 2005 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny77
is that amp good or is there alot better, whata re the downfalls to that amp

Well sure there is a lot better but not for $60 unless you can build your own or want to buy used. The new version 2 amp seems to have worked out noise issues that the version 1 had as I hear none through mine. Some who still reported slight noise, at low vol. levels, reportedly found a fix by running rechargeable Nimh batteries instead of the ac adapter. The unit also recharges the batteries when using the included adapter.

Feb 17, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #11 of 11
I just received mine yesterday. I am using NiMH batteries in it and
am very happy with the sound on my 280s, 650s and 225s. I have
never heard another headphone amp, but I did save alot of money
over what I was first thinking of buying. Good service from Gary also.

600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back