Cheaper alternative to Mini^3 pre-drilled and engraved aluminum panels?
Oct 16, 2007 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

vYu223

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I think that making my own front and rear panels for the mini^3 will be far too difficult.

Getting it pre-made from AMB's website will cost me $40.

Is there a cheaper alternative?

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone,

I think that making my own front and rear panels for the mini^3 will be far too difficult.

Getting it pre-made from AMB's website will cost me $40.

Is there a cheaper alternative?

It's not actually that difficult if you have access to a drill press (or even a good drill) and a set of bits. Just print out the PDF templates that AMB provides.

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 12
Exactly what I did. Print out the templates, make sure that they're to scale, tape them to your panels and drill carefully. I just used a cheap cordless and it worked fine. Everything lined up fine.

Of course, a month later I just bought the damn faceplates, I think it might've been a mistake though. They don't look *that* good, and I've already shorted the charger input to the case a few times. I don't like that...

Oct 16, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 12
Yes, the panels are expensive, but that's what they cost when ordered without volume discounts. Try going to a local machine shop and ask how much it would cost to make one set of these panels (with the engraved labels and all), I think you'd find that $40 is cheap in comparison.

You could certainly drill your own holes on the stock Hammond panels, and all measurements are found at the Mini³ website, but you won't have the nice engraved labels. A Mini³ with these panels looks production-quality whereas the home-drilled panels, well, look home made. It's your choice whether the extra cost is worth it.

As for shorting the charger input plug to the case, it's not a problem if you do it with the amp turned off.

mini3_2.jpg

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 12
An easy and safe way to make end panels is to use the black plastic end caps that come with some of the Hammond cases.

Use the AMB template and be sure it is properly placed since the plastics have a lip around the circumference which the aluminum ones lack (I think this is so).

Use a pointy soldering iron tip to make a center depression marker over each opening on the template then immobilize the end cap and drill. I use a hand drill to minimize the risk of the drill jumping.

I have not yet built my Mini3, but have used this approach on several other projects with success.

It is basically the same with aluminum: use a punch to make the centering mark, immobilize and use a hand drill and start with a smaller drill size and work up to the proper diameter. Putting a bit of oil, WD-40, etc. on the drill tip makes it cut much better into aluminum. Drill slowly and carefully.

Take your time and have fun.

F

Nov 3, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by iewgnail /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1587411507_ea0da8a2fa.jpg

Just did this yesterday.
The wordings are a lil greyish but looks fine.

Material is black acrylic. And laser cut and engraved.

did you do that yourself? do you have any means to do more?

Nov 4, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, taking into consideration that they're based in Singapore where materials are much cheaper and that it wasn't done by a big comercial company, it's easy to understand the price for those.

MASantos,
I have to agree with you that materials can be much cheaper here. Also this was a project by some of us on sgheadphones. The layout file was created by someone on the forum and then Nicholas who does this as his "side-line" and has access to a laser cutter/engraver, did it for us.

Here's the result.

Maybe Nicholas can do this for anyone who is interested.

Nov 4, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you do that yourself? do you have any means to do more?

got it done myself. i can get more of it done but it will be without countersunk hole.
i figured that using the default screw and the panels i made, the screw seem to fit well and doesn't protrude much. Just be careful not to screw into too much and crack the acrylic.
in fact, i can make as many pieces of the panels if needed using acrylic and w/o countersunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back