Cheap workout earphones? Tried KSC75, CX300, SkullCandy, Mellow's
Nov 14, 2008 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Lech

New Head-Fier
What earphones do you guys recommend for working out? I need a pair that isn't terribly expensive since I seem to go through this rapidly. I usually run or workout 6 days a week and the cord usually goes through quite a bit of wear and tear per workout.

Looking at previous posts, I see Koss KSC75, JVC Marshmellow, Skullcandy but I tried all three and they do not seem to work very well for working out for me. The stock ipod earbuds have been the best so far, but the worst sound quality. The KSC75's are open and the gym is really loud, the JVC falls out as soon as I get sweaty but I like to be able to hear a bit of outside noise (not as much as the KSC75's let in), and the Senn CX300/Skullcandy's also block out too much noise. It seems like earbuds are all that I can workout with. Would you guys recommend the Senn MX400's or JVC gummy's for me?

Nov 14, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What earphones do you guys recommend for working out? I need a pair that isn't terribly expensive since I seem to go through this rapidly. I usually run or workout 6 days a week and the cord usually goes through quite a bit of wear and tear per workout.

Looking at previous posts, I see Koss KSC75, JVC Marshmellow, Skullcandy but I tried all three and they do not seem to work very well for working out for me. The stock ipod earbuds have been the best so far, but the worst sound quality. The KSC75's are open and the gym is really loud, the JVC falls out as soon as I get sweaty but I like to be able to hear a bit of outside noise (not as much as the KSC75's let in), and the Senn CX300/Skullcandy's also block out too much noise. It seems like earbuds are all that I can workout with. Would you guys recommend the Senn MX400's or JVC gummy's for me?

RE2

Nov 14, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 16
Isn't the RE2 a little low on the bass?
I work out with my K81DJ, and I love it! The bass really keeps me going
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 16
If you like earbuds, then get the PK3's. I never really tried exercising with them, but they have surprisingly good SQ for what they look like. I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard the PK series had a fragile cable, so search for that before you make the decision!

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 16
How do these headphones you guys listed wear from your workout's? I.e. did it last like a year doing 5 days a week of running?

I often leave them in my pocket during class so theres a lot of wire bending and then working out the wire moves around and gets bent all over.

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 16
I use Senn. MX90VCs for working out, and they're similar to the Senn. sports range. They put up with a lot of abuse, and I go to the gym pretty much every day too. If anything, the sports range would suit better, hence my recommendation. Everything that annoys me about the 90VCs is fixed in the sports range.

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 16
Not super-cheap but reasonably priced. The PX 100 sounds great and stays on your head when running and jumping. Very comfortable. I've had a pair for six years with zero problems. The foam earpieces might slip off when they get wet, but I haven't lost one yet. The sound is truly excellent.

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #12 of 16
Nov 22, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 16
hmm so... working out in the past 1.5 months :

Koss KSC75 - one of the cables at the end of one of the ear pieces is messed up and i only get sound in one ear (lasted about 1.5 wk)

Apple Earbuds - cable from the earbuds (ipod end) is messed up and i'm only hearing music and no vocals or vice versa (lasted about 5 months previous)

marshmallows - ear piece end of one of them went bad (lasted 1.5 wk, and now are really dirty and easily fell out when I sweated anyway)

It just doesn't seem like I can't really run w/o earbuds and the foam keeps the earbuds in nicely and does not isolate too much.

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #14 of 16
I have tried quite a few different types. In my case, the issues are:

1) staying in your ears during workouts. Never found an earbud with straight drop cables that worked

2) would like them to be comfortable with a hat or helmet (cycling). No overhead band. The old Koss KSC55s I have unfortunately kill my huge head- the plastic band is not adjustable. ***Newsflash- just checked Amazon, and the picture of the Sportapros shows an adjustable band!***

3) needs to keep working when you are dripping in sweat. Many cut out after a bit of sweat. IEMs don't work- who knew your external canal sweats?

4) not too complicated cord. If it is too long, easy to entangle with the arms while running.

5) can wear sun/glasses comfortably. Most types with a loop around the ear compete with the glasses stem and irritate the hell out of me.

6) cycling issue: can you hear anything over 15 MPH? Tough issue- even I am not stupid enough to block out all sounds with IEMs, but any other type is a problem at speed, and I worry about hearing damage from turning up the volume to overcome wind noise.

7) needs to sound good!! The Sportapros may be a good bet

No flames about listening while cycling!
My current favorite for running/cycling gym is the garish green Sennheiser PMX70. They stay in place (behind the neck headband), have reasonable water/sweat resistance, a single left sided cord that is mildly coiled, and have passable SQ if not too loud.
I frequently multitask when putting in big miles cycling- audiobooks with Audible. For this I like a single (right) IEM, currently Ultimate Ears Super-fi 3's rejected by my daughter. No wind noise in that ear, but the left still available for situational sounds.
I ordered some Sportapro's from Amazon and will give them a try....

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back