Cheap, well-attenuating earbuds or IEMs
Sep 30, 2013 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

pawelq

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am looking for suggestions for inexpensive earbuds/IEMs. I'll use them occasionally in rather noisy environments (treadmill, airplane, etc.), so sound quality is rather secondary to comfort and isolation. Source: Kindle Fire, Sansa Fuze+, Boeing 757 and such.

I admit I know little about and have virtually no experience with tiny headphones. I read many good opinions about Etymotic Research and I've been thinking about MC5 (and let's make their price ($60) the maximum price I'd pay). But I own Etymotic earplugs ER-20 and I find them unusable. Extermely uncomfortable and I have never been able to achieve good seal, not at all in the left ear, and only with much effort (and pain) in the right ear. If their in-ear headphones are similarly shaped, there will be of no use. Or does it mean that canalphones are not for me at all?

Anyway, to summarize, I need:
- comfortable
- cheap (<=$60)
- well isolating, if possible
- not very bad sound, if possible
I do not care at all how they look.

As for my taste, I listen exclusively to classical, most often through Adam A7 speakers or Sennheiser HD580 headphones.  But probably it does not matter in this price range.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. Oh, and the headphones need to be available in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back