Cheap USB/SD Card player for old stereo system?
Oct 12, 2013 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

spookymulder84

New Head-Fier
Hi all.
I have an old Technics EH770 stereo system, which is great, but it only supports CD's which can jam while playing if there are just a small scratchs.
So I am asking you, is there some kind of a thing similar to an portable MP3 player, but which can read USB/SD (SD preferred), and can give an 3.5mm output, so I can connect it to my stereo with 3.5mm-RCA cable. For now I have it connected to a computer, but I don't want it always to be turned on (noise, power..), so I would like a simple and cheap thing (under 20$) like that.

Summed: device that reads audio files on USB/SD, and sends signal through 3.5mm, and doesn't work on battery, but on a plug. Also, a remote control would be nice.. (not necessary)
Sorry for my (might be) bad English.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 6
  Summed: device that reads audio files on USB/SD, and sends signal through 3.5mm, and doesn't work on battery, but on a plug. Also, a remote control would be nice.. (not necessary)
Sorry for my (might be) bad English.

Those two are generally opposed requirements - 3.5mm is usually reserved for battery powered devices for lack of space. anything wirking off grid power tends to not be so constrained and so tend to use RCA so as not to share the ground between both channels, save of course where it can't be helped (headphone out) and where it's convenient (front input for portable devices on amps).

I have an old Technics EH770 stereo system, which is great, but it only supports CD's which can jam while playing if there are just a small scratchs.
So I am asking you, is there some kind of a thing similar to an portable MP3 player, but which can read USB/SD (SD preferred), and can give an 3.5mm output, so I can connect it to my stereo with 3.5mm-RCA cable. For now I have it connected to a computer, but I don't want it always to be turned on (noise, power..), so I would like a simple and cheap thing (under 20$) like that.

Given you're using an RCA input on your Technics anyway, then why not just get another set of RCA-to-RCA cables so you can try out something like the Pro-Ject Media Box? They aren't too expensive - in fact if you can find a pro audio store near you that sells quality stuff you could probably get a good quality pair for $20 or so.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 6

Those two are generally opposed requirements - 3.5mm is usually reserved for battery powered devices for lack of space. anything wirking off grid power tends to not be so constrained and so tend to use RCA so as not to share the ground between both channels, save of course where it can't be helped (headphone out) and where it's convenient (front input for portable devices on amps).

Given you're using an RCA input on your Technics anyway, then why not just get another set of RCA-to-RCA cables so you can try out something like the Pro-Ject Media Box? They aren't too expensive - in fact if you can find a pro audio store near you that sells quality stuff you could probably get a good quality pair for $20 or so.

I understand what you mean, but everything that doesn't have 3.5mm seems that doesn't cost under 20$
Pro Audio equipment store has a lot of high priced stuff, and it doesn't have anything close to what I "need".
The closest thing that would satisfy my needs is this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/720p-HD-Media-Center-Movie-RM-RMVB-AVI-MPEG-MKV-MP4-TV-Player-USB-SD-MMC-/360698585177?pt=US_Internet_Media_Streamers&hash=item53fb4fa059
But I don't know will I be able to use it without any kind of screens, but will give it a shot someday.

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 6

Pro Audio equipment store has a lot of high priced stuff, and it doesn't have anything close to what I "need".

When I mentioned pro audio stores I just meant the cable, because I was wondering why you would specifically request for a 3.5mm line output on a device using grid power.

I understand what you mean, but everything that doesn't have 3.5mm seems that doesn't cost under 20$
----
The closest thing that would satisfy my needs is this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/720p-HD-Media-Center-Movie-RM-RMVB-AVI-MPEG-MKV-MP4-TV-Player-USB-SD-MMC-/360698585177?pt=US_Internet_Media_Streamers&hash=item53fb4fa059
But I don't know will I be able to use it without any kind of screens, but will give it a shot someday.

You're really going to have to shell out. You either get a dedicated audio-specific player which has its own screen, and due to more limited applications vs video and the need for better DAC and analog output, raises the parts cost and hence its retail price; or you get multipurpose devices that need a screen. Some Android mini-PCs however are known to be capable of headless operation, but the cheapest I know of is the Raspberry Pi, and you'd have to have an Android device that esentially serves as the remote and display if purely for audio, and the patience to set it all up to function as such. More complex/powerful Android mini-PCs designed for more intensive multimedia use (and maybe Android gaming) in the form factor similar to a MacMini have more connectivity options, including WiFi and LAN, and might be easier to set up, but these are around $100+ each.

Oct 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 6
  Pfff, for 100$ each I would rather rent 100 1$ hookers (or 1 100$ hooker, don't know).
Anyway, I will stick with PC and Phones.

Well, hookersthat cheap can't sing, so to those who really need a headless audio server, that's actually cheap given the next-less expensive SD/USB drive digital transports are about $150 each. You don't get a screen but if you already own an Android you would have both the hardware and presumably know your way around these things (not like you'd have to write your own kernel anyway, lots of instructional material are available online).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back