Cheap turntable sugestion?
Oct 16, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #16 of 38
Bricks will fix that
icon10.gif

NAD 533 also uses the Goldring Elektra :S It may be a good starting point, I may just end up working from there.

Hmmm I want a P3
frown.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #17 of 38
Project 2 Xperience. Under a grand with dust cover, Sumiko Cartridge. and carbon fiber tonearm, at NeedleDoctor.com

Stereophile had a nice write-up about their factory and their quality control.

Oct 16, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
I'm not sure i'm looking for an upgrade path at this stage. My CD collection dwafs my vinyl any day, i'm just looking for something no-fuss with sound that can match CD quality.

IMO, vinyl and CD are so different that it doesn't make much sense to compare them. Looking for 'CD quality' in a turntable is a somewhat fruitless search. That said, tonally speaking I think the Audio Technica 440ML cartridge (which is the one I'm currently using) has a CD-like sonic balance, if that's what you're looking for.

Oct 16, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #19 of 38
I'd reccomend the Technics SL-1200 MKII. You can get them for $400 USD (in the US, I'm not sure how much they cost on Austrailia). They don't come with a cartridge, but you can probably find the Shure M97xE for about $50 USD which should be pretty good with the Technics. The Technics sounds great and the Shure is a excellent starter cartridge (there are some others you could look at in this price range too like the Grado Black/Green, Ortofon OM-10, and there are a few Audio Technica offerings). As long as you have it setup decently (see this article) it should sound great, at least as good as CDs.

Oct 16, 2005 at 10:09 AM Post #20 of 38
I own an old AR XA and I would not really recommend its use. While they can be had quite cheap, the arm and headshell are too great a limitation to good sound. My brother has a Technics SL 1200, but I haven't heard it in my system - I have heard a Technics SL D202 Direct Drive in my set up, and the AR XA bests it, most likely due to the belt drive. I've heard Music Hall turntables in show situations, and they have sounded quite good, especially for the money. You might do well to get a 2.1 or 2.1LE which come with cartridges, but it might be worth saving for the Rega P3 or a Music Hall 7 or 9 if you can swing it; the jump in performance would not be small (I've heard the Planar 3, but not the updated P3 which I imagine is very similar.) A friend of mine has recently been using an MMF-9 to transcribe LPs to disc with good results. I upgraded to a VPI Scoutmaster and I do not regret scrimping/saving/spending the money one bit... I was in analogue heaven all evening.

Oct 16, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #21 of 38
Hello, all. I'm new to this forum. I came here looking for information on DACs/headphone amps; so of course, I end up posting in this thread first
smily_headphones1.gif

I used to own a Music Hall MMF-5 and now I have a Rega P5. The MMF-5 isn't much like the P2 (it has a split-plinth, the platter is glass, and the tonearm is different). In my experience, the MMF-5 was a frustrating turntable, mostly due to bad overall build quality. The internal wiring was just horrible. I found the Pro-Ject tonearm quite finicky and hard to adjust. The turntable sounded a little bright and occasionally had problems with hard, sibilant sounds that I could never get to go away (though replacing the included Goldring cartridge helped). Best of all, the built-in bubble level wasn't actually... level. I eventually tired of dealing with the turntable and bought the P5 I have now.

I've been told that the the NAD 533 is actually a rebranded P2 (and the goldring GR 1.2 looks eerily similar as well). The P2 seems like a decent no-frills table and the RB250 that comes with the P2 is a very nice tonearm for your price range. If your phono stage can handle a moving-coil cartridge, I suggest looking into a Benz Micro cartridge as a possible replacement for the Goldring. I use a Benz Micro ACE with my P5 and I'm quite happy with the sound.

Oct 16, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
Bricks will fix that
icon10.gif

NAD 533 also uses the Goldring Elektra :S It may be a good starting point, I may just end up working from there.

Hmmm I want a P3
frown.gif

The point I was trying to make is that for the fairly high price charged for the Rega P2,you really are not getting a good value unless you can pick one up for $300 or less.The Technics is a much better value @ $400 but the stock tonearm has to go.A Technics SL1200 MKII Wih a Rega250 tonearm is a better rig than a P2,P3 or P5 with the powersupply upgrade.

Oct 16, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #23 of 38
wow I feel privilaged to get your first post, you've earned your stay
cool.gif

Oh and welcome to headfi.

Back to business. Yes the NAD and the Goldring are both rebranded Rega P2s, with cartridges included, and I think the Music Hall 2.1 is too. Also P3 = Planar 3 they just shortened the name as far as I have researched.

I'll be using a MM preamp, because they are simply easier to build
rolleyes.gif
so I'll limit myself to that from the start. I've kindof got my heart set on the P3 so i'll have to scrape the funds together somehow. I'll give that a try over the next 3 weeks, but I don't think that will work to well.

Hmmm one of my posts is missing too... Well it was supposed to say what I meant by CD quality was not CD sound, but rather not the impression lay people get from vinyl. i.e. changing pitch, scratching, poping, tissy crap trebles, and muddy bass. (which in all fairness you get from crap cdplayers too).

Oct 16, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
The point I was trying to make is that for the fairly high price charged for the Rega P2,you really are not getting a good value unless you can pick one up for $300 or less.The Technics is a much better value @ $400 but the stock tonearm has to go.A Technics SL1200 MKII Wih a Rega250 tonearm is a better rig than a P2,P3 or P5 with the powersupply upgrade.

I'm surprised that you say this about the SL1200. I can't dispute your claim, having never heard an SL1200 in a context where I could judge fidelity (not unless seeing DJ Shadow at the Fillmore counts as an audition
smily_headphones1.gif
. However, I've always been under the impression that the SL1200 is prized for stability/versatility for scratching/mixing purposes, rather than it's prowess as a hi-fi component.

As for the Regas you mention, I don't really feel that the P5 can be lumped in with the P2 or P3. It has much more in common with the P7 (similar aluminum surround plinths, same RB700 tonearm, better overall build quality) than the P2/P3. Of course, the P5 also costs quite a bit more...

On another note, while we're talking about turntables, what is everybody using as a phono stage? I just replaced my old phono stage (Grado PH-1) with an EAR 834p and I'm really surprised by the difference in sound quality/musical experience. I haven't broken in the 834p yet, but it already sounds great.

Oct 16, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashpool
I'm surprised that you say this about the SL1200. I can't dispute your claim, having never heard an SL1200 in a context where I could judge fidelity (not unless seeing DJ Shadow at the Fillmore counts as an audition
smily_headphones1.gif
. However, I've always been under the impression that the SL1200 is prized for stability/versatility for scratching/mixing purposes, rather than it's prowess as a hi-fi component.

As for the Regas you mention, I don't really feel that the P5 can be lumped in with the P2 or P3. It has much more in common with the P7 (similar aluminum surround plinths, same RB700 tonearm, better overall build quality) than the P2/P3. Of course, the P5 also costs quite a bit more...

On another note, while we're talking about turntables, what is everybody using as a phono stage? I just replaced my old phono stage (Grado PH-1) with an EAR 834p and I'm really surprised by the difference in sound quality/musical experience. I haven't broken in the 834p yet, but it already sounds great.

The weakness of the Technics turntable is that the poor tonearm and wiring are holding it back.The weakness of the P5 is the turntable itself.Its tonearm is very nice.Phono stages make a big difference in the sound of turntable rigs.

Oct 16, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #27 of 38
Well they use the Planar 2 / Planer 3 Upgrade kit, then at the bottom they have P2/P3 Upgrade kit instructions. So I really think that Planer is simply the name for their turntables and P is the shortened version.

I'm building a DIY design for the phono stage based on the OPA637 and either original or enhanced RIAA equalisation. I'm yet to decide since one is brighter then the other, but the other may not remain stabe with my choice of opamp. There's a few good designs floating around the DIY slome tubes, some solid states.

Oct 23, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #30 of 38
ah.. congratulations.
rs1smile.gif

it's rare that i see a (budget-wise) happy ending in a 'help me choose a new source' type thread.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back