Cheap Turntable Isolation Solution ?
Jul 22, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, all the phono stages I have tried so far have been noisy, Rotel, NAD and the TCC, it is possible there is some grounding issue on my domestic electric supply which is old 2 wire wiring but there is not much I can do about that, however the other inputs on the NAD are silent at full volume. However, at listening levels the phono stage noise isnt audible.?

Phono stages are quite susceptible to those kinds of issues so it's a definite possibility.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seen a few Thorens - what woud be a sane price for a
166 Mk II
150 Mk II

Are there are any other models that are worth considering at the sub $200 level - I am assuming a 125 would be way over that ?

TD145/146/147/150/160/165/166

Are basically all the same model with some versions having a plastic inner platter (145/146/165/166?) and others being more automated (147,165?). Best to go for the 150/160 but if you see one of the others going for a song then there isn't enough difference not snap it up. Parts are interchangeable.

Within the 150 / 160 ranges their are many versions as well since they were sold both with and without tonearm and went through 5-6 versions at least.

All these factors can effect the price with generally the latter models going for more although the TD150Mk2 is widely regarded as the best one in stock form with the Thorens arm.

Prices can range anywhere from 50-450USD.

The 115 is a more basic model which I wouldn't bother with.

TD125/126 were the top of the range models from the '60s-'80s again going through different versions. The Td125 Mk2 is the one I'd rate but this is more contentious. The TD126's are more automated and the MKIII has a servo controlled tachometer which can cause problems, but they are all the same deck basically in terms of build quality.

Prices can be a low as 250 if you get lucky.

They are all really good turntables and a big jump from the basic Denon DDs you have. They can be endlessly upgraded quite cheaply with DIY skills, have a huge userbase worldwide, good spares availability (in Europe anyway) and are solid and reliable. Top quality Swiss / German engineering in a nutshell.

Jul 22, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the turntable properly grounded ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phono stages are quite susceptible to those kinds of issues so it's a definite possibility.

I took the Denon apart - first there isnt much metal in it at all -but I did find a metal plate under the motor and attached a new ground wire to it. With no gound wire attached the hum is enormous, with either of the two ground wires attached the hum is reduced equally, so the new ground wire looks like it is attched correctly, with both attached the hum is reduced by the same amount as either alone. At listening levels it is just out of the audible range - I experimented with different AC sockets and with a Nikko receiver - the problem is the same in each case. Short of rewiring the house that seems to be it. I can just about live with it.

The rumbling noise is also low but vaguely audible in quiet sections - maybe that is just what -78db rumble sounds like on headphones, the spindle is sealed above and below and is definitely not designed to be user serviceable so a lube job is out of the question. I am beginning to wonder if I am hearing groove noise ? - I did align the cartridge carefully and balance it, maybe the records are a bit worn.

Discounting the noise out the sound is pretty good -I cant complain about that part of the equation and for pop records the noise isnt a big deal - I have a record cleaning kit on order so I will see if giving the records a thorough clean helps with the surface noise on the classical LPs.

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #33 of 34
warrior05 had a link to a great DIY isolation platform. The platform envolved a wooden boxed shelf, sand and polycarbonate. He may still have the link which had detailed information.

Jul 28, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #34 of 34
Installed some bigger sorbothane balls - cleaned the record and stylus - seems to have helped somewhat - the rumbling noise seems quieter - now i can hear the surface noise through it better
icon10.gif

Actually it doesnt sound bad at all and the surface noise definitely gets better with a decent cleaning - wish I had held on to my old dust bug now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back