Cheap tube amp with easy to find tubes
Dec 29, 2005 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dag655321

100+ Head-Fier
I am sorely missing my PPX3 which I sold a few weeks ago (though I do love my MicroStack). I am therefore looking for a cheap tube amp to compliment (not replace) my Micro Amp (to be used with the Micro DAC). I am considering things like the Little Dot II and a few other Chinese tube amps that can be found on Ebay, (such as http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1) but they tend to use "hard to find" tubes. Are there any tube amps on the $200 range that use easy to find tubes like the 6cg7, 6sn7, 6as7, 12ax7 etc?

If I were to buy a Little Dot II, how would I find replacement tubes? Can you even order them from the manufacturer?

Dec 29, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Ocasionally a DYER will sell a Millent Hybrid well under $200. That would be a good option. Good luck.

x2... the scarcity of LDII tubes was a big negative for me.

Garrett

Dec 29, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #5 of 11
could probably get a DIYer to build you one new, but i'd imagine it would cost more then 200.. probably 300-350$. I saw a little dot 2 a few days ago in the fs/t forum for like 150 bucks, think it already sold though.. I told you, you'd miss your tubes
tongue.gif

As another alternative, send the stack back and pick up a Fubar II and GoVibe 4 or Pimeta for about 250$ total. Use the extra cash towards a better tube amp. This combo will not sound as good as the micro stack, but it will get you a portable DAC for your office computer and a decent amp.

Dec 29, 2005 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

If I were to buy a Little Dot II, how would I find replacement tubes? Can you even order them from the manufacturer?

I ordered a set of tubes for a little dot one from the manufacturer a week or so ago and it took three days for them to get here.
In fact the return address on the package was from somewhere in Iowa so I don't think that would be a problem.

Dec 29, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
X-Can V3 for $400.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dag655321
Are there any tube amps on the $200 range that use easy to find tubes like the 6cg7, 6sn7, 6as7, 12ax7 etc?

Personally I'd just wait it out or see if you can commision one for that amount..

Dec 29, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #9 of 11
I'm new to this, so hopefully this isn't a dumb response.

I bought an Antique Sound Labs HB-1 yesterday for USD $225.

It's apparently best used with low impedence headphones, and the tubes (6BQ5/EL84) seem to be readily available at reasonable prices. Not quite up to speed on the "sound" vernacular yet, but there is a very noticeable difference between amped and unamped w/ my SR225s...sounds warmer and smoother. I really like the sound anyway - still burning in both amp and headphones though.

Dec 29, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for all of the info

I decieded to buy a used ASL MKIII from the for sale forum. It uses EL84 and 12AX7 tubes which are inexpensive (in current production form) and readliy available. It also has the option of running in OTL mode, but I hear that it does not work well with Grados because of the impedance mismatch. Either way I think it will be a nice compliment to my Micro amp, and was only a little (well $125) over my budget.

Dec 30, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 11
Congrats on your selection of the ASL MG Head MK3. I've had mine for a little over a year now,( bought new ), and have been very happy with it's performance. I use it with my Sony CD3000 and Sennheiser 600 cans. I also have a Perreaux SHX-1 amp and overall prefer the MG Head with both cans.

I would however suggest using a 5751 tube over a 12AX7. A good vintage 5751 will add a somewhat fuller sound with a nice smooth and detailed midrange, and less aggressive highs, ( unless you prefer a brighter top-end, all the 12AX7's I've tried in the head are brighter on top than any 5751 I've used ). My favorite 5751's for the MG head are RCA Command Series, ( early to mid sixites are the best), Sylvania Gold Brand black or Grey plates, Tung-Sol's from late 50's to mid-sixties, and GE 5 star black plates (from early sixties only). I have made the RCA 5751 Commands my main choice due to my own preference for their slightly warm mids, full bass, and punchy dynamics. To my ears, they have the fullest sound in the MG Head. I also use RCA and Mullard 6BQ5's for the outputs, both early sixties vintage also. Great bass, dynamics, and reliable tubes from both brands of 6BQ5's.

For the record, the transformer setting for lower impediance cans on the newer ASL MK3 is much improved over previous models of the head. I owned a MG head/ DT for a couple of years and there is no comparison. Better bass and bandwidth on the MK3. Sounds excellent with my CD3000 cans, which are 32 ohms and sound better with the transformer in place. Also, MK3 Head has been very reliable, which early Heads were often not.

Enjoy your MG Head!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back