Cheap Transports
Jun 9, 2004 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pirate

100+ Head-Fier
Are there any really good cheap transports out there other than the NEC CD-ROM drives? I wanted to find one with at least a digital track display (unlike the NEC), fast forward and rewind, a more accessible interface (easier time with buttons and such), and if possible, even a remote. But most important would be the display, interface, overall build quality, and looks. I don't need a CD-changer but it wouldn't be a negative either. Any ideas?

Jun 9, 2004 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 11
There aren't any cheap dedicated transports that i know of. Companies assume that you won't split your transport and DAC unless you're buying above a certain price point. However, any good cheap CD player with a digital output will make an excellent transport. Just ignore the fact that it has an internal DAC and hook up an external one.

Jun 9, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 11
That would be fine but aren't most cheap players made with a cheap transport section often of plastic? Aren't they typically pretty noisy as well? I was thinking some type of used dedicated transport (or possibly old player from ES line?) would perform better with a seperate DAC than would a similarly priced new player.

Jun 9, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 11
I wouldn't be so sure. Many of the high-end players use mass produced drives designed for cheaper equipment. It's more about how you mount them and the power supply, etc. IMO, the DAC is about 80% of the equation and even more if the DAC is a reclocking/resampling type.

Jun 9, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 11
Older Sony ESx303es cd player makes a good transport as well as
Sony DVP 7000 or DVP7700.You never mentioned what you consider cheap.
I picked up a Theta data basic transport for 350.00.
The other players mentioned should go between 150.00 to 300.00 used
actually saw a x303es for 125. but that was snapped up quick,as they can be moddified into a killer dedicated transport by APL for around 400.00.

Jun 9, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 11
Excellent used transports are:

Pioneer Elite PD65
TEAC VRDS players

Both can be had for a lot less money than you think, and with their patented CD-transport.

Other than that, I would just stick with the NEC CD-ROM.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
they can be moddified into a killer dedicated transport by APL for around 400.00.

Excuse me but who (or what) is APL? I have an old ES line CD player that I'm trying to figure out what to do with (if anything).

Jun 9, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
Older Sony ESx303es cd player makes a good transport as well as
Sony DVP 7000 or DVP7700.You never mentioned what you consider cheap.
I picked up a Theta data basic transport for 350.00.
The other players mentioned should go between 150.00 to 300.00 used
actually saw a x303es for 125. but that was snapped up quick,as they can be moddified into a killer dedicated transport by APL for around 400.00.

How is the Theta Data Basic?

What would be the difference between the ESx303es, DVP7000, DVP7700? Can the DVP7000, DV7700, or other ES models be modified by APL? What do the modifications entail?

And to repeat erikzen's question, who is APL?

Jun 9, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pirate
How is the Theta Data Basic?

What would be the difference between the ESx303es, DVP7000, DVP7700? Can the DVP7000, DV7700, or other ES models be modified by APL? What do the modifications entail?

And to repeat erikzen's question, who is APL?

The Theta Data Basic uses the Pioneer Stable Platter, so it should be very good. If the transport mechanism fails though, you are SOL.

APL is Alex Peychev, who apparently has a good reputation modding CD players.

Jun 9, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
The Theta Data Basic uses the Pioneer Stable Platter, so it should be very good. If the transport mechanism fails though, you are SOL.

APL is Alex Peychev, who apparently has a good reputation modding CD players.

The Theta data basic I have uses the CDM9 pro transport later ones use the pioneer stable platter. And yes If it fails it would cost about 500.00 to replace the transport section. It is a very good sounding transport for the money.
The link for APL is WWW.APLHIFI.COM to see what they modify.

Jun 18, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 11
I believe that the most bang/$ is to have a Pioneer DVD player (any of several) modded specifically as a transport by Dan Wright (Modwright), Ric Schultz (EVS), or Richard Kern. For still more savings, you can haunt Audiogon; these do turn up for $300 - $500 kind of prices.

I did this a couple of years ago because I wanted to see operas as well as hear them on my Perpetual p1a/p3a DAC arrangement. However, the end result was a distinct improvement on my previous redbook-only transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back