Cheap Transport with Great error Correction
Dec 20, 2006 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DDF

100+ Head-Fier
Searched the archives but drew a blank on this one.

Who seems to have the best optical read capability and error correction in a really cheap Cd or DVD player? You know the kind, the $200 or under ones from the major chains. Plan is to mate this with a good dac.

Any suggestions?

Error correction algorithms should be family jewels and easy to port into even the cheapest players, and laser systems are commodity items so I doubt anyone has a real leg up in that area. It should be possible to get a decent optical read/correction capability for peanuts.

I read about higher end CD players that struggle to read CDRs and to me it doesn't matter how low their jitter is if they can't get the bits off the disc.

Everyone seems to focus on jitter, but if thats an issue, it can be corrected externally through correct choice of DAC, or even a Monarchy DIP.

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 13
Have you considered ripping your discs and playing them bit perfect from harddrive. That way you know for sure that the bits that get converted are the original bits from the disc.

Cheers

Thomas

Dec 20, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 13
Some CD players (and computer drives) are finicky about what media they read or write the best (or at all). However, you're correct in stating that any decent CD player, budget or not, should have no problem reading any well-burned, scratch-free disc.

Dec 20, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 13
Just to add to this. I read that some high end CDPs have some of their error correction disabled. The logic was that the use of heavy error correction apparently leads to additional timing errors. Now that could be BS written to excuse poor system logic. On the other hand...

Dec 20, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered ripping your discs and playing them bit perfect from harddrive. That way you know for sure that the bits that get converted are the original bits from the disc.

Cheers

Thomas

I use EAC to rip CDs, just for this reason. My domestic situation doesn't lend itself well to using the HD as my source though, I'm stuck with CD players for a while.

Has anyone seen any test/lab results on the web, comparing error correction routines from different manufacturers?

It amazes me that jitter gets so much attention and this seemingly vital attribute apparently gets ignored.

Dec 20, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use EAC to rip CDs, just for this reason. My domestic situation doesn't lend itself well to using the HD as my source though, I'm stuck with CD players for a while.

Are you sure? I don't know what your "domestic situation" is, but you may want to look up the SqueezeBox, if you are not already familiar with it. It will allow you to stream lossless or lossy files directly to you stereo wirelessly (via the SB). It's only $299.

Dec 20, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 13
I'm going for the Rega Apollo myself, and just using its own DAC. It has amazing error correction, and if you ever want to upgrade to a better DAC later, it'll always make an amazing standalone transport.

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 13
How do you know it has amazing error correction? I thought it just uses a standard transport module with no re-reads whatsoever.

I had the Planet for a while and as far as I know it did nothing special special and the laser pickup is the same as the Apollo?

Cheers

Thomas

Dec 21, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you know it has amazing error correction? I thought it just uses a standard transport module with no re-reads whatsoever.

I had the Planet for a while and as far as I know it did nothing special special and the laser pickup is the same as the Apollo?

Cheers

Thomas

The Apollo has a completely new system for error correction; it actually has four different levels of it for different CDs. When you put the CD in, it takes a moment to analyse the disc and decide which one to use for optimal performance. It's a very different transport from the Planet. Laser pickup specifically I couldn't tell you, though.

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Apollo has a completely new system for error correction; it actually has four different levels of it for different CDs. When you put the CD in, it takes a moment to analyse the disc and decide which one to use for optimal performance. It's a very different transport from the Planet. Laser pickup specifically I couldn't tell you, though.

I like the error correction scheme, but the optics seem to be weak.
It struggles with CDRs (which are low reflectance than regular CDs):
http://stereophile.com/cdplayers/606rega/index4.html

Story is that that Rega wanted a "CD" optical system, not a DVD one. Sony and Phillips apparently only make DVD optics now, so Rega made their own. They stretched themselves beyond their core competence.

So, no rec's for a cheap CD player with good error correction then?

Jan 6, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 13
How hard would it be to build one (great transport using readily available parts)? I have NO ability but there are some very capable people on this site. If someone did this and would post their results that would be fantastic IMHO.....

Jan 6, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Didn't you have a Saturn? or you bought both just in case
k1000smile.gif

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How hard would it be to build one (great transport using readily available parts)? I have NO ability but there are some very capable people on this site. If someone did this and would post their results that would be fantastic IMHO.....

Sony made some great stuff in the early 90s, looking just at the optical and the error correction (their dacs and analog sections were very weak unfortunately). I converted mine to a transport by building my own digital out off the feed to the DAC. I'd build a second one, but don't know a decent victim to use as a starting point, available for sale today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back