Cheap stock cables still sound good
May 4, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #106 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOnlyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On cables, give me real proof, real facts.

TheOnlyOne

Thousands of experienced, intelligent, serious people claim to hear differences. This is a fact. It is worthy of consideration. There is a possibility, of course, that they could all be wrong (although it is is doubtful their observations are wrong in every circumstance), but you cannot just discount these observations completely, unless you are completely dogmatic and close-minded -- and I suspect you are probably in that group (no offense). And assuming you do discount this entirely, there's really not much to talk about.

May 4, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #107 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thousands of experienced, intelligent, serious people claim to hear differences. This is a fact. It is worthy of consideration. There is a possibility, of course, that they could all be wrong (although it is is doubtful their observations are wrong in every circumstance), but you cannot just discount these observations completely, unless you are completely dogmatic and close-minded -- and I suspect you are probably in that group (no offense). And assuming you do discount this entirely, there's really not much to talk about.

Unfortunately, intelligent has nothing to do with being right. People claim many things, but this is an audio forum so I will let the other things lie. Calling someone who is scientific, dogmatic, is much like calling a politician honest, a scientist can be dogmatic and a politician can be honest, but it isn’t likely. Observations are just that, observations, they are not tests.

TheOnlyOne

May 4, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #108 of 149
Quote:

Unfortunately, intelligent has nothing to do with being right. People claim many things, but this is an audio forum so I will let the other things lie. Calling someone who is scientific, dogmatic, is much like calling a politician honest, a scientist can be dogmatic and a politician can be honest, but it isn’t likely. Observations are just that, observations, they are not tests.

Someone (scientist or not) who says; "I don't care who has reported hearing audible differences, and how many have heard it, and I have never made any observations myself, but I am certain that any such differences do not exist, that such observations are irrelevant, and that everyone who claims to have heard it is being duped" is, IMO, dogmatic. Someone who says, "I have considered the observations, made some of my own, and, in my view, these observations are flawed in certain respects and are outweiged by what I believe the science or technical data shows, and therefore I don't believe cables make a difference based on the current evidence that I have seen" is, IMO, not dogmatic.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #109 of 149
In you job, you should will know how good human observations are, give me the facts after the observations point out that there may be something there. I have not read any scientific peer reviewed papers on cables that show that there should be audio differences.

TheOnlyOne

May 4, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #110 of 149
Quote:

In you job, you should will know how good human observations are . . .

Sometimes they are pretty good; sometimes they are very inaccurate. But they are admissible and considered as evidence, along with other relevant evidence, by the person or panel trying to determine the facts. You are limiting your evaluation to "scientific peer reviewed papers," and thus confirm my previous point.

May 4, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #111 of 149
Quote:

Sometimes they are pretty good; sometimes they are very inaccurate. But they are admissible and considered as evidence, along with other relevant evidence, by the person or panel trying to determine the facts. You are limiting your evaluation to "scientific peer reviewed papers," and thus confirm my previous point.

Not at all, you are assuming that I have never done testing, that I don’t have ears, and don’t have a human brain. I had do tests and the tests have confirmed that people can fool themselves time and time again. It is only after doing an objective test that the results speak for themselves. And when doing objective tests on cables, people do no better then guessing. And you still haven’t given me any reason to believe that the results would be any different.

TheOnlyOne

May 4, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #112 of 149
Quote:

It is only after doing an objective test that the results speak for themselves. And when doing objective tests on cables, people do no better then guessing. And you still haven’t given me any reason to believe that the results would be any different.

This is a DBT-free forum. So we really can't delve into that subject here.

May 4, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #114 of 149
Quote:

No need too, it is already proven.

Once again confirming my previous point in post #108; but I'm not going to waste any more time on this.

May 4, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #115 of 149
I didn't make the limited rules of this forum.

I am still waiting to hear why one wire would sound different from an other wire unless it was messed with by the manufacture by adding inductance and or capacitance. Metal is linear and does not added distortion, dielectric material at audio frequencies means nothing and capacitance and inductance in wire at audio frequencies has no audio affect.

TheOnlyOne

May 4, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #116 of 149
Quote:

A hawk just flew by my office window. It's been flying by for several days now and a dozen other people in my office have seen it and commented on it. We believe it actually exists, based on these perceptions.

Are you sure your coworkers and office exist?

See ya
Steve

May 4, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #117 of 149
Quote:

Thousands of experienced, intelligent, serious people claim to hear differences.

Thousands of experienced, intelligent, serious people claim to have seen ghosts, been abducted by aliens, seen Elvis at a Burger King, and have the power to read minds. I'm sure there are sane, rational people who believe this stuff. But that doesn't mean that any of that is true. That's why we test our perceptions to determine what is true, and what is a product of fertile imagination.

It isn't a failing in a person to be fooled by his or her perceptions. Everyone is fooled from time to time. It is a failing though, to be arrogant and illogical enough to believe that one's own anecdotal perceptions are more real than tested and verified knowledge.

See ya
Steve

May 4, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #118 of 149
Quote:

"I have considered the observations, made some of my own, and, in my view, these observations are flawed in certain respects and are outweiged by what I believe the science or technical data shows, and therefore I don't believe cables make a difference based on the current evidence that I have seen"

You can quote me on that.

See ya
Steve

May 4, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #119 of 149
Quote:

"I have considered the observations, made some of my own, and, in my view, these observations are flawed in certain respects and are outweighed by what I believe the science or technical data shows, and therefore I don't believe cables make a difference based on the current evidence that I have seen."
smily_headphones1.gif

X2. That is my point of view.

May 4, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #120 of 149
In my view, we do testing to see if someone can reliably tell two sounds apart. Taking multiple tests to establish reliability is part of it. But it's more involved than that -- people are trying to tell if they hear differences even as they never get to hear the same sound in exactly the same way. It's a very complex perceptual task. I first came to grips with it when trying to set the bias on three-head cassette decks by ear. Absolutely infuriating. You have tiny differences in volume influencing you, differences in ideal settings for different music with different frequency content, worrying about frequency response versus distortion versus noise, and heaven help you if there's background noise! It's bafflingly complex until you get an intuitive idea what's going on with your ears and in your head perceptually. The "answer" to the question with cables is perhaps more clear cut, yes, but the subject is no less complex. There is plenty of data to show that if someone makes a minor turn of the head, or shifts their headphones even a little bit, there will be an audible difference in what is perceived by the listener. Thus, the subjectivist who says he hears a difference is often being more accurate and honest than an objectivist who claims to hear no difference and who discounts any anecdote from a subjectivist listener as not credible. The testing comes into play to see at what point someone can tell the difference between two sounds in this highly complex situtuation, a body of knowledge sometimes referred to as "just noticeable differences" for variables like noise, frequency response, and distortion. Then there is a body of knowledge as to what electrical properties in a wire will produce just noticeable differences or greater. The statistics and the electrical engineering theory are both beyond my understanding. At some point I simply did enough reading and research so that I bought into the objectivist point of view. Doing sighted and unsighted listening tests comparing MP3 files that clearly had different data helped to reinforce what I had come to believe over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back