Cheap Sound Card Recommendation
Feb 19, 2009 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

fearless

100+ Head-Fier
So my Chaintech blew out a few months ago and I'm looking for another cheap sound card. I've currently got some Sennheiser HD497's and a Mint amp (AD8620 opamp, battery powered). I'd rather get another card as although the Chaintech did sound good and worked well, it was a real headache when it didn't work (drivers, etc).

Here's what I need, a card that has 2 mini outs as I want to get a cheap 2.1 system in the near future and as I understand, splitting would cause a loss in sq. I don't need digital out or any surround sound. I won't be using it for games, only for music and videos. By the way I'm dual booting XP and Windows 7 Beta, if it won't work in Windows 7 it's not a deal breaker.

My budget is $50 or less, $25 or less would be fantastic. So what are your recommendations? I'm also open to other suggestions ie. usb dac and a splitter.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 40
Right now I have a Chaintech AV-710, which is an ok card for the money. I guess you know Chaintech makes decent cards though. If you can get your hands on one of those, it will definitely handle the 2.1 setup you want. I got mine for like $30 when they were new. I have no idea where you could find one now. Maybe eBay.

I have recently been wanting to upgrade to a card with optical input so that I can convert some of my old minidisc recordings. I have my eye on the Turtle Beach Montego DDL. I have heard pretty good things about Turtle Beach cards from people who use them. Newegg has them for $50 right now, and it seems like a great buy. It should also be able to do the 2.1 setup with no prob, I'm pretty sure.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 40
you can't ask for or require Windows 7 compatability, its a beta for a reason, so if it doesn't work, tough titties, because nobody (nobody meaning software/hardware vendors) gives a damn until December 2009 or January 2010 when it goes production status

as far as a good cheap soundcard in the $25-$50 range, Turtle Beach is a good choice, you might also look at used eqiupment (just see if anything is in FS or on ebay that looks reasonable)

theres probably some inexpensive Creative solution in the $25-$50 range, might also be an option (my lack of enthusiasm should tell you something
wink.gif
)

drivers wise, Asus has done one of the better jobs with Vista (Creative is a close second, M-Audio a distant third), and more or less anything should be fine under XP (such as Creative, Asus, or M-Audio), although I don't believe anything from Asus or M-Audio can be had for under $75, and I don't believe anything worth owning from Creative can be had for under $100, these are all new SRPs btw

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Newegg is your friend.

I know this, but Newegg doesn't have the XS71 and I'm looking for comparisons or personal experience with either card.

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 40
Can you find the Xonar DX? I am pretty sure I seen it for sale for about $80. For price to performance, this card is right up there. I don't know if it is within your budget.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 40
The EMU-0404 is a fantastic card for the price. Right now you can pick one up for $49 for a refurb directly from the Creative website.

I use it in my office system and would have to go up to a EMU 1212 at triple the price and then a Lynx at about $700 to get anything appreciably better IMHO.

Thoughts?

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The EMU-0404 is a fantastic card for the price. Right now you can pick one up for $49 for a refurb directly from the Creative website.

I use it in my office system and would have to go up to a EMU 1212 at triple the price and then a Lynx at about $700 to get anything appreciably better IMHO.

Thoughts?

That is an excellent deal. The closest I could find was the 0404 @ $59.99 but it's sold out.

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thoughts?

thats an AMAZING deal on the 0404

one more E-MU love comment, the E-MU 1820/1820m actually take that a step further, and put you to around $2500 to make Lynx competitive again, in terms of D/A quality, SNR, THD, channel separation, IMD figures, etc

sadly, the 1820m is hard to find, and the 1820 is quite expensive for its age (I have no idea how the 1616 series stacks up, sorry)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back