Cheap sound card for S/PDIF use only
Apr 13, 2010 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chronomitch

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I am using an Asus Xonar STX for outputting digital signals only (digital coax). I like my setup now, but part of the PCI bracket has broken off near the screw, making it near impossible to support it stably and prevent it from coming out of the PCI-E socket when I plug/unplug cables.

Unless I somehow manage to fix the PCI bracket, I'm going to need to replace the card, which is a shame since the card works fine otherwise. If that comes to pass, what (hopefully cheap) options are there for sound cards outputting quality, low jitter S/PDIF signals? I need support for 24bit/192khz but do not care about the quality of the analog outs since I won't be using them.

Oh, and I should mention that I AM NOT INTERESTED IN USB->S/PDIF CONVERTERS. While the sound quality may be good, the inherent sound lag
frown.gif
is a problem because I also use my computer for gaming and watching videos.

Thanks.

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 8
look into the E-mu 0404pci. Not sure about your 24 192 requirement but worked very well for me with 16 44 on my pc.

I still use an E-mu 1212m on my pc today to output to my Benchmark.

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 8
USB to SPDIF converters introduce lag? Show me. o.O

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USB to SPDIF converters introduce lag? Show me. o.O

Reading through the M2Tech Hiface thread, I found several instances where users reported lag or delays. The conversion process also seems to take a small (but larger than a sound card) amount of CPU time. Although my PC is more than capable, it still might make a difference when I am doing CPU intensive tasks like gaming.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by chronomitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reading through the M2Tech Hiface thread, I found several instances where users reported lag or delays. The conversion process also seems to take a small (but larger than a sound card) amount of CPU time. Although my PC is more than capable, it still might make a difference when I am doing CPU intensive tasks like gaming.

Again, show me. o.O I used a buddies USB Creative something a long time back, and saw no lag introduced. Maybe it's just the Hiface? And, as for USB audio using CPU cycles, that shouldn't differ compared to a sound card WITHOUT a processing offloading mechanism (IE: Any cheap, non-gaming card).

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hybrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, show me. o.O I used a buddies USB Creative something a long time back, and saw no lag introduced. Maybe it's just the Hiface? And, as for USB audio using CPU cycles, that shouldn't differ compared to a sound card WITHOUT a processing offloading mechanism (IE: Any cheap, non-gaming card).

Sorry for the delay. Here's a post from the Hiface thread. Evidently, the issue is with the drivers: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/us...ml#post6514226

Users who are viewing this thread

Back