Cheap setup for someone new to the "audiophile world".
Mar 31, 2012 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Munksome

New Head-Fier
I know you must get a thousand of these "help me" threads, so i am sorry for posting another one.

I wouldn't call myself an audiophile at all. I just want something better than my current PC headset (Sennheiser PC 350, great for gaming, but are not made for music).

I don't know anything about DACs, amps etc. All i have is a Realtek onboard soundcard.

It's going to be used for Spotify Premium (320 kbit), internet radio, movies and gaming.

I don't know how much you have to pay for a decent setup (and when i say decent, i mean for a non-audiophile like me), but i guess i am willing to spend $200-$300 in total.

The headphones has to be open-back and preferably over-ear. Something like the Sennheiser HD 558, but i don't know what i need to buy to get the most out of these headphones (DAC, Amp, better soundcard etc.)

Any suggestions? :)

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 28
Yes I believe it does. I am considering one myself, and I think I'm going to jump for one real soon. I pretty much do the exact same thing as you for my music, and I just recently wore out the audio jacks, so I guess its time for an upgrade.

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 28
I'd say you do some research before buying anything.
First off, you need to worry about your source, a DAC.
Garbage in, garbage out. You can be using the "best" or most expensive headphones in the entire universe, but they'll sound like **** from your on board sound card compared to a dedicated source.
Once you've got this sorted, you have to work out what type of sound you want. Since you don't want to spend much money, it's best to get a headphone that doesn't need amping.
Depending on what your preferences are, there are the usual contenders.
Do you know why you want open to closed?
Depending on what sound you're looking for, there's a bit of buzz about the T50RP's and the sound you can get from modding them, if you're willing to experiment.
Everything is relative, it'd be stupid to try to power a HD600, or the DT880/990 600ohm models off an E10, just like the D2000 doesn't really need an amp.
Do a bit of research, and keep your eye on the For sale/trade forums.
Best of luck.

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 28

Quote:
I think i am going to get the Fiio E10 and the Sennheiser HD 518 (heard they were bassy, i like that).

Would this be a good buy or is the E10 overkill for the HD 518?

I would avoid the HD518. You'll have wasted money.

If you want something bassy, consider: Beyer DT990 PRO and Ultrasone HFI 2400.

On the Fiio E10.

Very best,

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 28
I'm a lot like you - pretty new to the audiophile stuff and plan to keep it that way. Not really feeling like spending thousands of dollars for minute gains in quality. Anyway I was using the Sennheiser HD 380 pros, mainly for gaming, but they were so incredibly flat and full. I needed something more bassy. After asking around and doing a bit of research I bought a used pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 32 Ohms and I'm super happy. I have an external DAC though, so that's a priority for you. Integrated cards are horrible. The 32 ohm version of the 770s that I have are like 250 new but I got mine used on on this forum for 120. 

I also use 320k mp3s like you as well. The 32 ohm version should be a good choice for you because you won't need a fancy pants amp to drive it. My Zune can get these up loud enough for me. Edit: I forgot to mention that the DT770s are well known for having a nice bass presence.

Strange. I found the 380pros in the options list before...

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 28

Quote:

I agree with this. I had the 518s and did find them to have bass, but it was very muddy and bloated. You can do better.

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 28
Looks like the Ultrasone HFI-2400 suit my needs (bassy, open-back, nice looking), but they are a bit too expensive considering i also have to buy the E10. The reason i would like them to be open-back is simply that i don't want to be completely isolated, especially when using VoIP (i hate not being able to hear myself when i'm talking).

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 28

Quote:

If you want something bassy, consider: Beyer DT990 PRO and Ultrasone HFI 2400.

On the Fiio E10.

Very best,

I like the HD 518--especially at its old price.  However, it is certainly not bassy.  In fact it even has noticeably less bass than it's bigger brothers the 558 & 598. 

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 28
You can have a quality package for just a little about $120 to $140.

Start with the Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones for only $50 at Amazon.  Add the affordable Fiio amp/dac of your choice--say a FiiO E10 USB DAC Headphone Amplifier for $76.00 at Amazon.

Upgrading to an open or semi-open can with bass presence points toward the Beyer DT 880 Pro or (with a little less bass) Senn HD 558.  I like the AKG Q 701, but it may be a bit bass light for you.

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 28

Quote:
I'm a lot like you - pretty new to the audiophile stuff and plan to keep it that way. Not really feeling like spending thousands of dollars for minute gains in quality. Anyway I was using the Sennheiser HD 380 pros, mainly for gaming, but they were so incredibly flat and full. I needed something more bassy. After asking around and doing a bit of research I bought a used pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 32 Ohms and I'm super happy. I have an external DAC though, so that's a priority for you. Integrated cards are horrible. The 32 ohm version of the 770s that I have are like 250 new but I got mine used on on this forum for 120. 

I also use 320k mp3s like you as well. The 32 ohm version should be a good choice for you because you won't need a fancy pants amp to drive it. My Zune can get these up loud enough for me. Edit: I forgot to mention that the DT770s are well known for having a nice bass presence.

Strange. I found the 380pros in the options list before...

The DT 770's (in their various forms) are good cans, but they're closed.  The OP wants open.

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #15 of 28
5x5 series is getting on in age.  I'd look to the newer 5x8 series of headphones.  I can't vouch for the 558, but the 598 is a dang good headphone that might even take over your gaming needs.  The nice thing about the 598 is they can run without an amp.  If you decide to add an amp though, you'll be pleased that you did. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back