Cheap recorder that records in (mp3 and) WAV.
Apr 25, 2008 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

underdogg

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you could recommend a recorder to me that goes for a low price. I'm looking for a cheap device to record live concerts.

I've been looking at some miniDisc options (MZ-M200, for example). I would not mind picking this up, however I would like to have a machine that records at least 2.5 hours (in lossless format) without having to switch disks in and out. As well, I do not know the quality of atrac3 in comparison to mp3 in terms of quality, but really, I do prefer a lossless format for making my recordings.

Please help! Thanks =)

EDIT: So I did a bit more research and found that atrac3 does sound better than mp3 in most peoples' books however I would prefer the portability of mp3. And I still prefer lossless formats though -_-

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 4
Depends on your definition of cheap, but the iriver ihp 120/140 series are well regarded in the recording department (as well as playback, for that matter). Put Rockbox for better recording options, and it has optical and analogue line ins and outs.

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 4
I don't know about cheap, but I have a Zoom H2. It records in mp3 and Wav in two or four stereo channels up to 96k. Cost me around $200 total, so it'd got a price, but it takes SD cards and you can use it to convert analog directly to digital as well.

I recorded a Mars Volta concert live in San Francisco on low gain and it worked out like a charm!

Apr 26, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 4
Among my options, $200 looks like a pretty sweet price. I checked out the H2 as well. It does look like a rather good choice. Thanks for the input to both of you.

Everyone, keep 'em coming
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back