Cheap Qualia's
Jan 21, 2005 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

c-money

New Head-Fier
I was looking at the audiocubes headphones and I noticed three sony cans bearing a slight resemblance to the Qualia. I have never heard anything about them and I want to know something. Anyway they're the MDR-SA... series. Share your knowledge, please
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 46
yep the "Baby Qualia" line is out in Japan. The highest model of this line, the SA-5000, is owned by a few folks here on Head-fi already - do a search for SA-5000, the thread should pop up. They will be sold here in the US around the end of june/july i think.

Jan 21, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 46
sounds about right that I know of.

jjcha = SA5000
lan = SA5000
myself, aka me = SA1000
soupy = SA5000

welcome to team nuvo-sony!
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 46
Thoughts on it? No reviews or anything on it yet..

No reviews or anything on it yet..

No reviews or anything on it yet..

wink.gif

Jan 22, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 46
There is a dearth of owners/posts on SA3k/SA1k - I think a comparison of the three new models (and Qualia 010's, for that matter) would be cool, as I honestly don't know if the SA5k's are worth the price premium over the other models.

So a few more random thoughts on the SA5k's. I think mine have finally finished burning in, which puts the burn-in period closer to 200 hours than 100. The highs just sound a lot smoother (bearable?) than they did originally - I find I can listen to a lot of recordings now that had originally been way too harsh/bright/hot through the SA5k's. Or maybe it's just me getting used to the increased detail.

Out of the HD650+Zu, CD3k, Sensaphonics 2X-S sitting in my apartment right now, the SA5k's are definitely my favorite phone by a significant margin.

I've been listening to the HD650s a bit more these last few days, so a few comparisons. A small caveat -the Zu needs a bit more burn-in (the HD650's and cable are new - only at about 100 hours right now) so I'm sure the HD650's will refine its sound over the next few days, but the changes ought to be fairly incremental.

The soundstage of the HD650's is fuller. Not necessarly wider, but more spread out than the SA5k's. I like the fuller soundstage of the HD650's, but having gotten used to the SA5k's, sometimes the HD650's sound a bit too filled out? Like someone hit the "reverb" button on a synthesizer. But still, the SA5k's sometimes sound a bit too focused in terms of soundstage, sometimes you kinda wish it was a bit less center stage.

HD650's also have a nice flat tonal range (remember, I'm coming from HD600's) - with a slight and very enjoyable bass-boost/emphasis compared to the perceived flat-as-glass response of the SA5k's. I'm wondering why the SA5k's just sound more neutral/accurate as a reference. One could say the HD650's (or Sensas) are the flatter phone, with the SA5k's having recessed bass and overemphasized highs. But, while initially, I thought the SA5k's had overemphasized highs and recessed bass, my perception of what "neutrality" and "accuracy" mean has just flipped. I perceive the SA5k's to be the neutral reference now.

Speed - no comparison that the HD650s are slow compared to the SA5k's. A lot slower. Also, as everyone knows, the HD650s are on the dark side. Because of this, they don't sound as "real to life" as the SA5k's. I think lan was the one who said this - but real life is detailed, and sounds move ultra-fast. Now that the SA5k's don't seem to be as blindingly bright as they were initially, the Senn HD650s just seem way too polite. I miss the upfront honesty/reality of the SA5k's when listening to the Senns now.

None of these Senn traits are bad things - fuller soundstage, flat range with a nice slightly emphasized bass, polite and not in your face but still okay presentation of detail. But it just seems there are these layers and distance between me and the instruments that made the music and I lose the real texture of the sound.

Listening fatigue is still an issue with the SA5k's. I listen for hours on end - the Senns never tire my ears, while with the SA5k's after a long listening session, I can feel it.

I still think one of my early analogies characterizes the SA5k's for me - they're like applying unsharp mask and auto-adjusting the levels in Photoshop. They just bring this detail and reality to the underlying music that aren't there without such processing. Now which is more neutral and accurate, the original photo or the photoshop'd one... I'd say the latter.

Incidentally, I reserve the right to take back anything I said once I get the Qualia 010's. And while the Senns aren't getting the play I would have expected (having cut my teeth on the HD600's), they still have a place on my shelf.

Lately 90% of my headphone listening has been in bed, so the rig for these thoughts are:

Crappy J-Pop music encoded as uncompressed .wav on iRiver iHP-140 -> Toslink (el-cheapo Monster fiber-optic cable) -> Grace m902 (xfeed on) -> SA5k/HD650.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jan 22, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

There is a dearth of owners/posts on SA3k/SA1k - I think a comparison of the three new models (and Qualia 010's, for that matter) would be cool, as I honestly don't know if the SA5k's are worth the price premium over the other models.

Yes, a comparison would be nice, but probably not any time soon. It takes a while for something new to catch on on this forum since they're usually too expensive and risky to purchase. I mean, it took us a while before the AT phones caught on. The price premium is a big jump from the sa3ks, and it might've been too much, but I didn't want to regret anything before leaving tokyo. In the end, I'm very satisfied...now I need a new amp.

Quote:

Listening fatigue is still an issue with the SA5k's. I listen for hours on end - the Senns never tire my ears, while with the SA5k's after a long listening session, I can feel it.

Definitely. Especially when you listen to it right out of the box. I couldn't listen for more than a half hour at first. After some burn-in, it's muuch better and you can listen longer.

Jan 22, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 46
My SA5000s are about 250+ hours in. In the early stages, they were a bit too bright to listen to. But I had to deal with other system burnin and ear problem issues. So for me I just skipped most of those hours. I will probably listen more serious after 350 hours.

I generally like a sound which is neutral, natural, and detailed. My only other good headphone is K1000 and I find both these headphones very sensitive to system changes (at least in my system and with my ears). I always have to watch out for anything that can result in harsh highs and any reduction of bass since these two headphones are more generous with treble and more relaxed with bass. To reduce treble glare, I had to rearrange my power conditioning, power cord, and interconnect situation. Now it's pretty detailed and smooth and I believe it'll never be fatiging. I'm pretty sensitive to the treble so am glad I resolved this. There's a lot of treble in real life and I think other headphones don't have enough to be real. The downside is that treble can be evil on digital playback systems.

I think K1000 is a bit more punchy and dynamic and I prefer that kind of sound. SA5000 has more extended bass. K1000 is tighter. The SA5000 bass is well integrated and layered and works well especially when watching movies. The K1000 midrange seems to be more infocus and I like that more with vocals and things like string instruments. Soundstage I prefer K1000. I find all other headphones weird in that regard because you get put in some more artificial space. This is something I must get used to since the SA5000 has angled drivers and creates a different sense of space for me.

I don't really have any other headphone to compare this to in my system and since the K1000 uses different source and amp, it's not really a direct comparision. All I can really say is it's pretty detailed and will most likely be able to meld into whatever source and amp it's connected to. Tube rolling is next for me.

Jan 22, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by soupy
Yes, a comparison would be nice, but probably not any time soon. It takes a while for something new to catch on on this forum since they're usually too expensive and risky to purchase. I mean, it took us a while before the AT phones caught on. The price premium is a big jump from the sa3ks, and it might've been too much,

I don't think it's that risky as they're hard to get and maybe an easy sell. It's not wise to buy sound unseen though. Since I've heard the Qualia, R10, and CD3000, I can sense a ballpark range of it's sonic abilities. Certainly it wouldn't expec a Grado or Sennheiser like sound for sure
tongue.gif
I went for the SA5000s because I like 2 corded entries and hoping for like a semblance of qualia-like detail.

Jan 22, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
sounds about right that I know of.

jjcha = SA5000
lan = SA5000
myself, aka me = SA1000
soupy = SA5000

welcome to team nuvo-sony!
biggrin.gif

...and my brother felipe = SA5000

Best!
Nicola

Jan 22, 2005 at 10:36 AM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
...and my brother felipe = SA5000

Best!
Nicola

OK!!
SA5000 ARRIVED!!!!
I'm very happy!!!!

Best!
Filippo

Jan 22, 2005 at 10:53 AM Post #14 of 46
I'd love to see some comparisons of the new Qualias against the CD-3000...

Jan 22, 2005 at 10:57 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by felipe
OK!!
SA5000 ARRIVED!!!!
I'm very happy!!!!

Best!
Filippo

Very good! Listen carefully
biggrin.gif
and then we are waiting for impressions!!!
SA-5000 vs CD3000 it's a very interesting comparison.

Good listening with your new baby-qualias.

Bye
Andrea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back