Dec 11, 2009 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lozanoa11

100+ Head-Fier
Dec 11, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 14
edit: double post

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lozanoa11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone recommend me a pre-amp for around $50 for a turntable?
Phonopreamps.com TCC TC-750LC Details and Hookup Is this one any good?
Just trying to get a budget vinyl rig together. Thanks!

Its good for the money. I would tend to get the one without the level control unless you really need it. Extra volume pots in the signal path degrade sound quality.

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 14
Dec 11, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 14
Never ordered anything off that audiogon, is it pretty legit?

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 14
If you shop around, you can find a vintage amp or receiver with a good phono section. You may find it cheap too. You could run the signal into the usual phono inputs, and out the tape/rec outputs to a preamp or whatever, and not have the signal go thru any pots, but that may not be true of all amps/receivers. I used the tape/rec outputs of a Lux receiver to make use of its superb FM section - very similar to what I am proposing for you.

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 14
I do have a old reciever with a phono input but i would like to get a pre-amp for quality and ripping purposes.

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

I do have a old reciever with a phono input but i would like to get a pre-amp for quality and ripping purposes.

Just make sure the preamp will outperform the old receiver.

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Never ordered anything off that audiogon, is it pretty legit?

Much moreso than e-bay imo. The stuff on there is geared toward stereo folks and not just someone looking around. I've had good luck buying and selling there.

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #12 of 14
Audiogon is legit alright.

Dec 14, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #13 of 14
If you don't grab the NAD, you might rethink your position on your receiver. Unless it is a particularly bad example, it will probably trounce any sub $50 stand alone piece of junk. I haven't seen the unit you linked to. However, I did watch a friend battle with a cheapie for awhile (hum was a big problem). Yamaha receivers were particularly renowned for their phono sections. The Advent 300 was said to have the best, but they are old enough that they usually need considerable work.

IMO, the best budget phono stage is the Hagerman Bugle. You can build one yourself (easy) for well under $100, or buy it assembled for $150. You don't get a box, and it runs on 9V batteries (a nice power supply costs more), but it'll cream many <$1K options. Mine sat on standoffs and ran on rechargeable 9V's for awhile. It now lives in a metal box with a pair of big SLA batteries and a pair of step up transformers. (I recommend rechargeables no matter what. If you are anything like me, you'll forget to turn it off every third night.)

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back