Cheap Portable Headphones?
Feb 17, 2002 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

west

New Head-Fier
I am looking for some headphones that will block out some noise (just while in the car on a highway, not driving of course) Currently I am using Aiwa HP-X222, but since getting Grado SR-80's for home I really detest the Aiwa's sound.

So what are some good alternatives, they don't have to be as good as the Grado's but need to be better then the Aiwa's. Maybe the Koss UR-20's?

Feb 17, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 11
Many here like the KSC-35s, although I have not heard them.....yet. The Sennheiser MX500/400 buds are a great value at less than $20 bucks. The Sony MDR-V6s block out a great deal of noise being closed full sized headphones and can usually be had for less than $70.00. Hope this helps.

Feb 18, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 11
the KSC-35's won't block sound at all.

cheap, but not bad: Koss THE PLUG

expensive, but excellent: Etymotics (any)

also consider Denon 210 or 750 or 950, which won't block as much sound, but may be more convenient (but less compact). Excellent sonics with all 3, phenomenal bass.

high-end (same league as Etymotics, but headphones, as opposed to in-ear plugs): Sony MDR3000.

Feb 18, 2002 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 11
Noguilt, I think your suggestions aren't QUITE helpful in his case...

I would suggest Koss The Plug.

Be sure to do the mods at www.headwize.com

Try the Etymotic ER6 at a high budget for something as good or better than the SR-80's, as the same type of headphone as The Plug, only not sucky.

Also, wait for the Koss UR-40's to come out....

Feb 18, 2002 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 11
You can also consider the Sony MDR-A44L VITE phones....great sound! Contrary to Verts opinion, you really don't need a Holmes-Powell (or high end) amp to drive them! (Vert, I'm razzin' ya', dude!....
wink.gif
) For real, these phones sound fantastic and they fold... for the the ultimate in portability.

Feb 18, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
Rick: Those are open, correct?

Sorry, Gluey! You're right...guess you would have to classify those phones as open.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2002 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 11
You might also consider the Sennheiser HD202. They are supraaural (on-the-ear) closed headphones. They probably won't give you the most isolation, but Sennheiser has voiced their new cheap models to sound similar to your Grado's. And the HD202 is only $30. And the review that exists on them is positive, their only fault is a limited extreme top end, which is noticable, but not severe, and by the sounds of it was not any worse than the flaws of the other suggested headphones. You'll have to search for them, though. It seems that the cheap Sennheisers are not being promoted well by Sennheiser, or commonly found. And as another route you could take, if you can live with another open-air headphone, Sennheiser's HD477 can be found for $25 at Circuit City, a true bargain since they sound very similar to their upgrade the HD497, which has caused a debate on Head-Fi because they sound arguably better than the SR-60 and SR-80 and cost $60-70. And the HD477 is a medium-sized circumaural headphone, it's ugly (not as ugly as the 497), and has velour earpads (the 497 uses CHEAP pleather). It's normal list is $59.99, the 497's is $69.99. But Circuit City is selling it at $25. I don't get it either. But remember if you go with any cheap Sennheiser, give it a good 40 hour break-in before you decide on it's sound quality. They sound horrible in the beginning, but I know my 497 ended up sounding like a hybrid between a Grado SR-125 and a Sennheiser HD-570, both $150 headphones. I have had only one person reply that he thought the 497 was worse than the SR-80, and he just auditioned them, he hadn't owned them himself. The reason why I like them is because, like the SR-125 vs. the SR-80 the sound is much clearer, without the veiled treble. The HD477 doesn't have as much detail in the treble as the 497, and it's bass extension is only to 37 Hz, while the 497 goes down to 22 Hz. But for $25, it is your best deal for a portable headphone. It should be noted that while the 497 is great with all kinds of music, the 477 is best suited for only rock and pop, it just doesn't have the extremely detailed treble or lowest octave bass required for other genres of music. It should be noted that though I have researched all of these headphones to make my opinion, I have owned only the SR-80 and the HD497. I have listened to the SR-125 and the HD-570. My opinions on the 477 and the 202 are based on reviews. The 202 is closed, the 477 is open. My guess is that the 477 would sound better, since there were more flaws stated in the review on the 202 than the reviews of the 477.

Feb 19, 2002 at 1:07 AM Post #11 of 11
Hi West---

Avoid the UR20s. Huge, ugly, sound terrible. As Violeta says the Senn 202s may be good for you. Also the V6s are recommended as well, especially if portability and/or low external noise projection is an issue. The V6s fold up nicely. are very sturdy, and leak virtually no noise. I would not describe their sound as being very Grado-like though. The 202s are probably closer to the Sr80s but are still pretty far away. If you need good treble response the V6s are the better choice, but if portability and higher frequencies are not important. the 202s are half the price of the V6. l would disagree with the Plug though. Even with the mods mentioned it sounds much less impressive than either the V6 or 202. I own all 3, and the Plugs are gathering the most dust by far!!

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back