cheap, portable headphone amp?
Dec 7, 2006 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Thelonious Monk

Headphoneus Supremus
unfortunately i had to ditch my supermicro. any suggestions on something cheaper, not TOO big (works well with iPod nano), but with enough juice to drive some mid-impedence headphones? nothing DIY

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 9
If you spend your time in the Amplification section, you'll find out that these are the popular choices for sub $100:

- PA2V2 - if you like warm and bassy signature
- LDM+ if you prefer details and separation management
- Go-Vibe V5 - Generally regarded as an upstep from LDM+
- CMOY of various opamps - off ebay and heaps of them

Those four are the easiest to acquire and good for an intorduction to portable amps.

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #3 of 9
Dec 8, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 9
Probably the smallest and best sounding portable amp is Dr. Xin's Supermicro IV. However you will have to wait about 3 months to take delivery. It sells for $185 including S&H.

Since you have eliminated the Hornet then the Go-Vibe 5 is a very nice alternative at about $82 delivered. Good luck.

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 9
I just got a Cmoy off a fellow headfier just like the ones on ebay int he penguin tin with the black metal knob, with blue led and switch on the side.

People say that an SR60 wont gain much from an amp, but I personally thought the bass was a little better and didn't feel distorted as when I didn't use it.

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 9
Nice avatar nineohtoo dangit!
confused.gif
I do like it blown up. Fortunately I have another one and I'll change mine even though I had it first.
wink.gif

Oh to actually respond to the OP a really cheap portable that is not fancy is a CMOY peguin tin or mint tin or whatever they are on Ebay I think usually around $50.

Dec 10, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 9
the cmoy looks pretty good. i could probably make my own pretty easily. i think that's what i'll go with. it's cheap, looks efficient. thanks for the help guys- now to try and decide a replacement for my nano.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back