Cheap portable DVD-Audio player
Oct 30, 2002 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Onix

Papá de Iñaki
I just found this player in a Mexican magazine. Seems to be made in the U.K. The small blurb in the magazine mentions it's capacity to reproduce music "something the music lovers are allways looking for". Not something you hear often about a portable DVD-player. It's supossed to be able to play DVD-audio, has optical out (no analog) and doubles as a DVD-rom. At around 300 dollars sounds nice.

Anyway, for some strange reason, they have a distributor here in Mexico. I am triying to get one to check it out. In the meantime, here´s a link.

http://www.rimax.net/products.asp?id=81

Let me know what you guys and gals think.

Oct 30, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 3
Onix,

The way I read it, the analog output is digital, yes, but COAXIAL, not Optical. In this way it would be similar to the optimus 3400 of old. Obviously, it has a lot more going for it than that! Digital volume sounds cool...

I started a thread on the 28th re: a Koss player that plays cd, dvd, dvd-r/rw, vcd, mp3... The spec's didn't list dvd-a, specifically. But with all these other formats being covered, wouldn't it also play dvd-a?

Heck, I don't consider $300 as "cheap". The Koss unit is on sale this week for $89!

(P.S. Are there any gals?)

Oct 30, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 3
Oh, you are rigth, it's coaxial. Yep, I read about the Koss player. Keep in mind that Koss electronics is not the same as Koss headphones. Most of the stuff they make is subpar. Beside, in the reviews at Target.com nobody mentions audio quality, which is very important around this place. Actually, the only reason I got interested in the player is because the person who wrote about it mentioned it's quality as an audio player. As for the price, I think it's okay. Sony has a similar product that doubles as a CR-Rom burner, but lacks DVD-audio capabilities and can't be used as a DVD player unless connected to the PC. Of course, the Sony is more portable than this player and cheaper, but as far as screenless DVD-players go, specially those who manage to play DVD-A, this is cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back