cheap, portable, closed solutions?
Oct 22, 2005 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

okay_player

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys,

currently i have a pair of ath-a500's for home use, and a very crappy 20$ panasonic shockwave pair for portable use. i used to have a pair of d66's for on-the-go use, but they died after a year.

having just moved to a noisier part of town, i find myself annoyed at the noise traffic generates. that said, i think its time for a portable pair of closed cans. i would consider going with the d66's again if they weren't so expensive and/or if i didn't have to import them and therefore pay customs duties, etc.

could someone recommend an affordable, easily driven, closed headphone suitable for portable use? i listen mainly to progressive rock, alt rock, and hip hop, so bass is important to me.

i realize this is a pretty specific request, but any ideas you guys have would help out a lot.

oh, and although i've heard wonderful things about canal phones, i have not come across a single pair that will stay in my freakishly shaped ears. i also understand that the higher end ety's etc are somewhat cumbersome to be inserting/removing frequently.

thanks

Oct 22, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 3
Tough question. I would take a look at the Sennheiser HD 201 or the AKG K 26 P. They are portable and sealed, though they obviously won't block out as much noise as ear-canal phones. Maybe the Sony MDR-ex71 or MDR-ex81 will be a more comfortable in-ear headphone than the Etys?

Oct 22, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 3
I can't compare them to the 201's or k26p, but the ath-fc7 look Ok to me. Still might be putting in a WTB soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back