Cheap 'phones for metall??
Jun 25, 2007 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cherepashka

100+ Head-Fier
I need to choose some cans for a buddy. Full-size, open or close-doesn't matter. He uses some kind of cheap computer card-so no amp. For pc only, maybe for portable but not sure...
Never listened to metall-that's why i asking..I assume it gotta be somewhat bright-sounding cans?
Budget- 30 $.
I've narrowed to Senn HD 201, Beyer DT 231 and Akg k-66...
Any other suggestions? Please...

Jun 25, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 12
save abit more and get used SR60's

Jun 25, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 12
I think you know what Im going to answer cherepashka...
rs1smile.gif

It doesnt need to be bright necessarily, but forward midder and aggressive, preferably strong and punchy but NOT bloated and boomy bass.

So yes, Grado or Alessandro.
biggrin.gif
How much SR60 costs in the states?

Cheap alternative, Koss KSC75.

Jun 25, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My bad guys, firget to mention he wanted comfy circumaurals..

Well... that makes things more complicate in that price range. 30 bucks doesnt give much good choices.

Quote:

how do the Koss KSC75's compare to a Grado SR60? Is the sound quality diffrence worth it?

Stock, KSC75 is inferior in mids and highs. Kramer modded and its quite close having grado sparkle. Though its still Koss sound, not Grado sound.

Jun 25, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 12
Another vote for Grado SR60 used. They were the headphone that got me into this stuff (my brother had a pair). Even though they're supra-aural, they're quite comfortable with the comfy pads they ship with. They'd be perfect for metal.

KSC-75s are awesome for the money and wouldn't be bad for metal, but they're a little bit lighter-sounding because the driver isn't so close to your ears. And many people think the ear clips are not that comfortable.

Jun 25, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for Grado SR60 used. They were the headphone that got me into this stuff (my brother had a pair). Even though they're supra-aural, they're quite comfortable with the comfy pads they ship with. They'd be perfect for metal.

KSC-75s are awesome for the money and wouldn't be bad for metal, but they're a little bit lighter-sounding because the driver isn't so close to your ears. And many people think the ear clips are not that comfortable.

Yeah, they are comfy once you adjust the headband. While they are supraural design, they are fullsize so they wont exactly look normal headband-type headphone a'la PX100 or anything. Cable is also thick and long.

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3ta1head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the SR60! You won't regret it
smily_headphones1.gif

I think its out of his price range.

I guess Sennheiser HD201 might be safest choice, despite my dislike for Senn + Metal.

I have heard DT231 couple of times, but that was YEARS ago. That time I didnt give any thought about how good some headphone would sound with metal and such. Overall it was decent and balanced headphone, good for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back