cheap/performance amp ~ Senn 580??
Oct 9, 2002 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Jodiuh

Headphoneus Supremus
History=portapro, hd 280 (so I'm not some "demanding" audiophile)

I just plunked down more than I thought I would for headphones.

They will do fine out of my stereo or Klipsch 4.1 for now, but in the next month or so, I'd like to get a dedicated amp for them.

I think one with a power supply would be better, right?

I would like it to be cheap
wink.gif

I would like it to be ok nice
wink.gif

Thanks!

Jod
wink.gif

BTW: These phones, even in their unbridled form, kick.

Oct 9, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 13
You can go the route I chose to go, meaning the Meta42. Check out www.tangentsoft.net to read about the amp, then contact JMT, eric343, or tangent to build an amp for you! I love mine(home built), but I've heard that the aforementioned gents do some awesome work!

Oct 9, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 13
On the less costly side you could look into a JMT built CHA-47 or Cmoy. I advise sending him a PM and he can help guide to a decent setup for you needs and budget.

Oct 9, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 13
He goes on business trips often. He won't be back from his current one until Friday. So whether or not you e-mail him won't be any faster. But if you still want to, you can just e-mail him through Head-Fi.

Oct 9, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 13
This is a hobby for JMT. He is usually very prompt with his replies but he probably gets quite a few PM's every day and he is a very busy guy. Sometimes it can take him awhile to respond especially when he is away on business. Good things come to those who are patient.
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 13
HI; Its well worth the wait for JMT to get back from his trip. When he is back he is very prompt with his replays and will make you very happy.
Ps
JMT Will make you an offer that you cant refuse.

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 13
blankdisc
HI: You did it good luck with your amp. IF you got the Max Out META42 you will be amazed by it. If not I must admit that the cmoy 2-9 volt amp blew me away also. I had to respond to you for this is my 1000 post. Its hard for me to imagine that I posted 1000 times here on head-fi. All I can say is WOW I did that?

Oct 10, 2002 at 6:11 AM Post #11 of 13
Hi,
If cost and portability is really your concern, Fixup amp is great too. It is not up to the level of the Meta42 (AD845), but it has no problem powering the Senn hD-580. His website is at www.fixup.net His amp is very cheap, but power up to the level of Headroom Total airhead.

Purk

Oct 10, 2002 at 7:07 AM Post #12 of 13
Purk,

I went over your post on the mini last night. I guess that's 79.99, very reasonable. Do you know what the meta's go for? I think I'd rather have a ps than a battery, though. It would be nice to have both...

Jod
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2002 at 7:39 AM Post #13 of 13
Jod,
Mr. Tangent should be able to built you an "all out meta42", if he has enough time. The op-amp he is offering for this configuration is AD843. This Op-amp is not efficient, so forget about battery power....power supply only.

I can't say for sure about the price on the all out Meta42, but Mr. JMT, and eric43 should be able to answer that question. You can also upgrade the capacitor and even a better op-amp to the best out of the Meta.

However, if you want the best in portability, get the Meta42 with AD845 like mine. My meta is battery power and canbe configue for power supply. It sounds great, and way ....better than Total Airhead. The price is about 3/5 of the TAH. This amp is very sweet sounding and has no problem powering my Senn HD-580, or my other phone. I don't think it a good fit for Grado.

Purk

P.S.
According to Mr. tangent: Meta goes b/w 120-280 dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back