cheap pc
Feb 15, 2007 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hatfi

Head-Fier
I am looking for a cheap new desktop, I have monitor keyboard etc. What is a good online store for such systems? Can't seem to get anything below 400usd

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatfi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for a cheap new desktop, I have monitor keyboard etc. What is a good online store for such systems? Can't seem to get anything below 400usd

Pretty much the best way to find deals is to check the manufacturer websites periodically and scan your local paper for sales at Walmart, Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, and anywhere else around you that sells computers. Stopping in every once in a while is also a good idea. Right now Best Buy is selling an HP laptop with a 17 inch screen for 1300-1400 bucks on their website, but I just walked out of the local Best Buy store the other day where the very same one was going for $850.00. I would have picked that one up right there and then but I'm not quite ready to buy yet. I learned from experience a long time ago that places like Newegg, Tiger Direct, etc, rarely have the best deals.

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 6
try fatwallet.com to look for deals on dells etc., you can always replace fans and what-not to make quiet

if you really want super-quiet you can build yourself

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 6
Dell E521 AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ Desktop $399 shipped free - AMD 3200+ $349, Feb. 12
Great value. Dell Small Business has new and fast AMD based desktops. Dimension E521 AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ 1GB DDR2/160GB, DVD ROM, No monitor, Geforce 6150 LE, 1yr Onsite warranty, Vista Home Basic $399 shipped free. Exp Wed
Customize It on Dimension E521, Customize, Customize It on rightmost config. Remove Monitor. 19in LCD +$180.
Nice: Dimension E521 Athlon 64 3200+ 512MB/80GB without monitor $349
Dimension E521 Sempron 3400+ 512MB/80GB $359
Additional 2% discount for checking out using Dell QuickLoan. Select Credit card as payment to see this offer.

http://techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/81425

Windows Vista, though, so you may not be able to use some of the programs that work fine on XP. Also note that all internal connections (hard drive and optical drive) are SATA, so if you want to add your own, it has to be SATA, or you have to buy an IDE to SATA bridge. Also pay the extra $10 and get a full Windows installation cd, rather than just depending on the hidden restore partition on the hard drive.

Personally, I like the eMachines desktops without monitor that were Athlon64 / Nforce4 based (e.g. T6534 or T6528). Doubt they have any left, but you could Check Best Buy, etc. for eMachines on closeout (they were around $250 or less on clearance last year). Just make sure you don't get a Celeron system; Athlon64 (Sempron might also be ok) are nice comps for the price.

EDIT: This Compaq desktop isn't bad either if you can find one at your local CompUSA:
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...20nx_Minitower

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back