Cheap PC-setup (Soundblaster Live?)
Feb 5, 2007 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

syndrome

100+ Head-Fier
Dear Head-fi.
I have this small problem. During my time on Head-Fi, i've been more and more craving about my sound quality. I've aquired a good soundcard, amp and speakers, which is great. The only problem is, my parents are divorced, and I spend every other week at each of my parents, switching places every sunday.

The thing is, all my "good equipment" are at my mom's place. This results in, when I leave for a week at my fathers house, I'm stuck with the worst integrated audio I've heard, coming out of some fairly decent PC-speakers.

There is no way in Kansas I can afford another one of my setups to have at my fathers place, therefore I'm looking for a cheap solution. As cheap as possible. I'm thinking about the cheapest USB-Soundcard I could find, the SoundBlaster Live! 24bit. The PC here is a low-profile PC, and the only Low Profile soundcard I could find was the Audigy SE.

I will be using Grado SR60's and Altec Lansing PC-speakers for the setup. Budget is restricted, I'd say $50 maybe. All I'll be needing to buy is a soundcard, cans have been taken care of.

And no, taking my computer and amp with me every week is not an option
wink.gif

Thanks in advance, I'm counting on you Head-Fi!

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 11
I'll sell you my Soundblaster SE that Ive used for 4 months, pm me if your interested.

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 11
Feb 5, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that a USB-stick?
biggrin.gif

That little stick can produce good sound? The tech of today.

sounds much better than the SBLive I used to have. Almost as good as my X-fi.

Feb 6, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 11
perhaps u could have a look at the Philips Aurilium PSC805 USB soundcard? cheap and i think itll be better for music rather than a creative.

Feb 6, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds much better than the SBLive I used to have. Almost as good as my X-fi.

Sounds awesome. So it's a standalone soundcard, and not just an amplifier?

With my usual luck, this little piece of plastic is nowhere to be found in my country. Great.

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 11
the usb route is a good idea. TBAAM, Total Bithead, the $10 chinese usb TBAAM wannabe, etc.

but since you have $500, why dont you get a bigger MP3 player instead? if i were you, that would sound like a viable option.

$250 player + $30 Line-Out + $200 amp = ~$500 with great sound out of your Grado SR-60

in fact, maybe just the player would be fine!

Feb 6, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the usb route is a good idea. TBAAM, Total Bithead, the $10 chinese usb TBAAM wannabe, etc.

but since you have $500, why dont you get a bigger MP3 player instead? if i were you, that would sound like a viable option.

$250 player + $30 Line-Out + $200 amp = ~$500 with great sound out of your Grado SR-60

in fact, maybe just the player would be fine!

I just noticed I had a huge typo in my first post. It was supposed to be $50.
basshead.gif

Seems like the only choice then is the TBAAM? I'll see if I can find a retailer willing to ship to Sweden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back