Cheap-o racks
Oct 29, 2002 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
I needed a rack for my headphone system -- I had my Melos on my desk and it was taking up too much space, my CDs were far from my CD player, my CD player was out of my reach when I was sitting at my desk, etc. Anyway, I was at Wal-mart and decided to get a good old metal rack made for holding lots of heavy toolboxes and paints. I picked one up for $10 (yes, that's right, it's less than $200) and after a lot of struggling under my own ineptitude, I finally built it. The rack is sturdy and has room for my Meridian on the top shelf, my Melos on the shelf below, my CD rack on the shelf below that, and a bottom rack near the floor which currently holds only my cheap-o Walmart power strip/surge protector.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can (turns out it's not my camera but my USB cable that's bad), but I think that some other people might have been operating under the same misconception that I was -- that there aren't any inexpensive real-world racks that can work for audiophiles. But there are! I'm just happy I didn't waste the cash for a Salamander rack for a dorm room.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 4
Wow, they have a Wal-Mart in Williamstown? Moving on up. ...

I'd like to see the pictures when you get your camera working. I could use a stand in my room, especially if I end up with a turntable. I may have to pitch a few room implements, but I'll make room.

kerely

Oct 29, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 4
I'm actually going to build the MDF rack that they have on audiotweaks.com Just have to build up enough initiative to remember/get money/go. Ah, wait! They're building one less than 5 minutes from my house!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back