cheap not too nasty pc sound card?
Jun 9, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 14
I've passed the recommendation on to the person who's interested, thanks.

Now for another question - my Sonica isn't performing very well as a source for my AOS DAC. Can anyone suggest a cheap internal sound card that will output bit-perfect digital output, optical or coax? By cheap in this case I mean the cheapest that does that bit-perfect output.

Jun 9, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 14
Recommend the Gainward Hollywood@Home Sound Card, PCI from that list to your acquaintance. IIRC, it is essentially the same card as the Chaintech that Bolt San mentioned.
ascent

newegg

Jun 9, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guild
Recommend the Gainward Hollywood@Home Sound Card, PCI from that list to your acquaintance. IIRC, it is essentially the same card as the Chaintech that Bolt San mentioned.
ascent

newegg

Thanks for that Guild. Does anyone know if the output is bit-perfect? Or at least if it's resampled before it's sent to the digital out?

Jun 9, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
How cheap is cheap? I think the Terratec Fun is Envy24 based, so at least it wouldn't resample your 44.1 to 48 the way nasty AC97 cards like the SB's do. It looks like the best bet of the cheaper cards on that list

wrong, Fun is actually crap.. CMI based card with some game bundle, stay away!

Jun 9, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 14
The Gainward card seems to use Cirrus Logic CS4341 DAC for the 7/8 channels. How does it fare compared to the one in Chaintech?

edit: not crystal but cirrus
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 14
If I remember right this was brought up a while ago and it was determined that the 7/8 DAC on the Gainwood was above average but nothing special like the Wolfson on the Chaintech.

Jun 9, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #12 of 14
Any RMAA/listening results available (search function doesn't work ATM
frown.gif
) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back