Cheap NOS Dacs?
Nov 4, 2007 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

MaZa

Headphoneus Supremus
So far, I have been pleased with my M-Audio 2496, though to tell the truth the difference between it and Elite Pro is extremely minimal. Shows how good Elite Pro actually is.

Though I have sort of itch to try some Non-oversampling DACs, but I dont know any brands. Im aware of Monica2 USB, but im not a DIY person AT ALL, so unless someone builds them ready supplied with needed powersupplies and cases, its out of question.

Well?

Nov 4, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 22
Ah, Silverstone EB01 is non-oversampling according to that link, didnt know that. Might be an option just to try how NOS technology sounds.

*edit* Though the quality of that DAC is quite debatable, no? Most likely it would sound complete crap compared to Elite Pro or M-Audio 2496.

Nov 4, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The entech I have now kicked the butt of the silverstone. It wasnt even close, so I guess you have to look a little higher then the silverstone

Yes, its afterall very budget solution. But the Lite DAC-AH caught my eye, just 175$. Not a bad price if its a good Dac.

Nov 5, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Im aware of Monica2 USB, but im not a DIY person AT ALL, so unless someone builds them ready supplied with needed powersupplies and cases, its out of question.

Well?

you can order a fully assembled monica in a case from yeo at diyparadise. he also sells a universal switch mode power supply that can be used.
both the monica 2 w/ gain stage [spdif] and the usb monica can be ordered this way.
check out the website.
if what you are looking for is listed as 'sold out' just email yeo, and he will make one for you.

Nov 5, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 22
Yeo doesn't actually sell a Monica USB kit. He only sells the boards ready assembled. But, you do need to connect a power input and RCA (or other) connectors and case it up.

Cheers

Nov 5, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, its afterall very budget solution. But the Lite DAC-AH caught my eye, just 175$. Not a bad price if its a good Dac.

the entech I had was cheaper then the silverstone, but from what I hear the Lite dac is much better then the entech

Nov 5, 2007 at 9:45 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeo doesn't actually sell a Monica USB kit. He only sells the boards ready assembled. But, you do need to connect a power input and RCA (or other) connectors and case it up.

Cheers

not true. i'll say it again.
you can buy a fully built and cased plug and play monica w/ powersupply from yeo. $250 for the dac in a wooden enclosure, $40 for the smps.
check the website or email him.

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 22
Just be aware that Yeo tends to be pretty busy, and might take a while to get back to you if you have anything custom you want done. I originally tried to commission my Altoid Monica from him with a mini-toslink connector, and Yeo just didn't have time to do much with it.

That said, he's probably more likely to be able to build a full USB Monica for you if you don't want any customizations. Alternatively, there's other people here who might be willing to build one for you. Mazuki built my Altoid Monica (and did a great job with the custom input), and might be worth asking. Also, there may be people on the DIY Paradise forum that might be willing to build one for you. Ask around.

I love my Altoid Monica, and am rocking out to it right now. I've read that the new USB version with the SSIV (?) stage built-in is even better. Definitely worth considering.

-Packgrog

Nov 8, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not true. i'll say it again.
you can buy a fully built and cased plug and play monica w/ powersupply from yeo. $250 for the dac in a wooden enclosure, $40 for the smps.
check the website or email him.

OK
cool.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 22
I'll second the entech as a truly budget DAC. They can be had for under $100 and they do not sound bad at all.

Nov 25, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #13 of 22
I bought a monica 2, but ended up killing it somehow
frown.gif

got sick of trying to fix it, and ordered a brand new monica usb

This is easily the best source I have encountered thusfar. What they have been saying about the effortless, smooth and soothing yet full sound monica makes was all true! I was contemplating between the beresford and monica.. Then I saw another head-fier's mini review that said he had hard time distinguishing his dac-ah and monica - both smooth and natural sounding.

At the end I am sure it all depends on what kind of sound you are looking for. I thought my modded emu 1212m was, while quite good, just a tad too analytical sounding. I can only imagine how unhappy I would have been with one of the dacs that are known to be very analytical in nature. Well, monica USB anything but analytical and sterile and I just cant stop listening to beautiful music she is making
biggrin.gif

Now I see why some prefer the RCA cleartops on PPX 6CG7; they are indeed silky smooth, balanced, refined and lush, a tad more rounded and less punchier than the Ei elites they replaced. The Eis were still good, just a bit too punchy and pronounced in certain upper mid freqs that made them more fatiguing. Also, I keep noticing how much I prefer the HD650s to the K701s. The AKG set will most likely have to find a new home sometime soon
frown.gif

Nov 25, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #14 of 22
I have to say the latest version of the Beresford TC-7510 is doing very good for me at this moment at my easy chair. Mine is the Mk6/3 version. It cost me less than 200$ shipped and has a decent headamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back