cheap neutral headphone
Apr 8, 2007 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

asak

100+ Head-Fier
my first post, but anyhow.

I have the grado sr60 and the etymotic er6i, didnt like either too much, both sounded like they had a deal of emphasis.

My 2 channel system consists of nht superone, odyssey cyclops, and arcam cd73. I greatly prefer the superone to a BW 602, could not stand the 602. I am looking for a headphone that is neutral, balanced and cheap. both iem and open and closed headphone recommendations are good. I was looking at the shure se210 or westone um1. anything close to 100 dollars would be good, up to 200 is fine if the benefit is much greater.

ty in advance

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuutsak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my first post, but anyhow.

I have the grado sr60 and the etymotic er6i, didnt like either too much, both sounded like they had a deal of emphasis.

My 2 channel system consists of nht superone, odyssey cyclops, and arcam cd73. I greatly prefer the superone to a BW 602, could not stand the 602. I am looking for a headphone that is neutral, balanced and cheap. both iem and open and closed headphone recommendations are good. I was looking at the shure se210 or westone um1. anything close to 100 dollars would be good, up to 200 is fine if the benefit is much greater.

ty in advance

Shure SE210 is not balanced at all; the bass is bumped up for eco-fi enjoyment.

UM1 might work, but I'm surprised you didn't find the ER6i to have a balanced sound.

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 5
Out of those that I have owned and heard, I would say that the beyerdynamic DT 250 series (both the 80 and 250 Ohm versions) provide a very pleasing presentation of neutrality. I think that most of the detailed reviews you'll find on these headphones would suggest likewise.

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 5
ty for the replies

I guess the reason I didnt like the etymotic is it seemed too clinical for my taste. detail was good. but just the overall sound, I prefer something fuller.

anymore comments for iems?

Apr 8, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 5
The Grado/Alessandro MS-1 is a bit more neutral than the SR-60 without the emphasis on the top end but still has the same forward presentation as the SR-60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back