Cheap motherboard, which would you get?
Aug 19, 2006 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a budget Socket 939 MB, and have narrowed my search down to these:

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813135191

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813131035

Basically, I need onboard video at least temporarily. Both of these boards are very feature-full. I will be installing to a regular ATX case.

The Asus strikes me as a much more reliable brand in general, but the ECS has nicer features IMO (except CPU support is weaker). Which of the two would you get and why? Thanx.

Aug 19, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 17
I've always had good luck with Asus, I'm typing this on a system I built on an Asus mobo. Plus I've had experience with Via chipsets, never tried an ATI chipset.

So I would recommend the Asus.

Aug 19, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 17
One thing, that ECS you linked to is MICRO ATX not regular ATX
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
One thing, that ECS you linked to is MICRO ATX not regular ATX
wink.gif

I know, altho it should fit in a regular ATX case (?).

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 17
Asus and MSI are the tops when it comes to manufacturers. I don't trust DFI, as 4 of the 5 DFI 939 motherboards I've had to deal with have been DOA and needed returning. Abit used to be tops, but they sold out their manufacturing and have gone to crap.

One thing to remember is that you NEVER want a cheap motherboard. The motherboard is just about the single most important part of your computer, and if it's flaky it can cause all sorts of instabilities and phantom problems that are impossible to diagnose. Between the two, I'd go with the Asus, but try and get an NForce3 or NForce4 board.

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 17
You didn't ask about it, but I always recommend to people building system, don't skimp on the power supply either.

Stick with brand names at least. Antec, Enermax and Thermaltake all make decent PSU's that wont break the bank.

Get a PSU that is rated at least a little higher than the max you'll require.

PSU's are frequently treated as an afterthought, but they have a BIG effect on the stability of the system once built.

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6
Stick with brand names at least. Antec, Enermax and Thermaltake all make decent PSU's that wont break the bank.

...I agree with the first two brands...
Power supply is definitly important, and not just the amperage rating on the rails, although that is important too. You need to make sure that you have a stable power supply, with stable rails, and that has good regulation and little ripple. Otherwise you are going to get an unstable system that craps out on you when you least expect it. Power supply and motherboard are probably the two most important parts of a stable system. I personally run an OCZ 520W SLI power supply, although that is probably overkill for my system, it runs it beautifully. Also, for a cheap 939 mobo, look at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157087
Its the motherboard i run, it works well for either overclocking or not, its stable, and overall just runs well. Plus, the bios is nice and configurable.
Thats my 2 cents left over from my overclocking days.

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 17
Thanks guys for telling me to spend as much money as possible; I'm putting together a budget PC, but do appreciate the recommendation to not build a budget PC.
biggrin.gif

With that said... I'm getting a Seasonics PSU for quiet operation (they're quite good too IME and IMO, altho not one of the topmost brands). This PC is not going to be anything remarkable at all, and that's the plan... I just want something for light web browsing mostly that will last the standard 4-6 years without crashing all the time. No O/C or gaming. I'll probably get the Asus MB... at that price I'm skimping a little, but given the general quality of the brand it should be OK. The onboard graphics will probably have to go after awhile (even if I never see a single game) but that'll be easy enough to take care of.

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
The onboard graphics will probably have to go after awhile (even if I never see a single game) but that'll be easy enough to take care of.

It won't be hard to beat the integrated graphics for not too much dough, especially if you go the eBay route.

Gamers upgrade their graphics cards frequently, so you can often get good deals. Just watch out for heavily OC'd cards.

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 17
I always thought microatx motherboards needed microatx compatible cases.

In any case, If you're only going to web surf, I don't see a need for upgrading your current computer?

I would get the Asrock 775Dual-VSTA and use a cheap CPU and then upgrade to Core 2 Duo later.

Aug 19, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I always thought microatx motherboards needed microatx compatible cases.

Micro-ATX motherboards fit ATX cases. They've got screw-holes in all the right places and the rear ports are in the same place as those on an ATX mobo. They just don't extend as far.

To the OP, I've heard people getting skittish socket 939 boards from Asus. Plus, that board uses VIA chips, which I think are inferior to those from actual graphics chip manufacturers like ATi and NVIDIA.

I like MSI: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130529 (it has on-board Firewire, which might come in handy ..), but if you want to save that $30 then the ECS you posted would be fine. It's got good feedback, which says a lot about any motherboard.

Aug 19, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
In any case, If you're only going to web surf, I don't see a need for upgrading your current computer?

The motherboard in my current PC is basically dying. So's the monitor... and it's not JUST for web surfing, but that's the most frequent activity.

I'm still torn between the two boards... although the ECS has the better chipset (apparently anyway), Asus has *by far* the better reputation for MB's. ECS is notorious for issues that give people bad, throbbing headaches (including driver inaccessibility/instability and BIOS flash issues). I suspect I'll probably go with the Asus, since I won't be with onboard video for long and will eventually get an inexpensive but decent video card. At that point, the VIA chipsets won't matter much as long as there's stable drivers available.

Will I regret getting a cheap MB... I doubt it. I think the whole process of making MB's is so mechanized, standardized and streamlined now that it's likely hard to go too wrong (unless maybe you get a totally off-brand something or other). But I guess I'll find out
tongue.gif

Edit -- the chipset in the Asus might actually be pretty good!

Aug 20, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 17
fewtch: I'd recommend to forget both boards, 'cause the chipsets aren't really good - the ATI is dead slow in terms of USB 2.0 and sometimes also FireWire speed, and the onboard graphics of the VIA is just so utterly slow. I'd recommend to some GF6150-based board instead, if you really want something with onboard graphics - e.g. the Asus A8N-VM CSM.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Yes, a µATX-Board fits into a full-size ATX case, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back