cheap mini to mini. where to shop in SF or online.
May 6, 2003 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
This is not a "what's the best" post. In fact I just went to Radio Shack to buy gold tips if that shows the quality I'm looking for (though if I can get better for nearly the same price great). Surprised at the difficulty I'm having finding a cheap relatively decent short male mini to male mini cord. Looking at 6" to 12". This is for going from an Xitel Hi-Fi/AN1 DAC to Meta Mint or occasionally iPod to Meta Mint. I know this is very basic, but any suggestions where I should shop (brick and morter near San Francisco or online) would be much appreciated. I don't have tools (iron, etc.) currently to even do a decent job making one myself.

May 6, 2003 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 10
Ahh yeah. Guess I should have checked HeadRoom first. Am considering it. With shipping we're talking near $30, and while I know most of you (especially in this forum) spend much much more on cables, I feel a little weird spending $30 on a very small cable for an amp I just got for $70. Plus my Grado 15 foot extension was only $31 shipped. My problem, I know, but are there any other options for less, or does quality dramatically decrease below this point and for bang for buck, this is it? Sorry, just trying to watch my finances while unemployed.

May 6, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 10
You can make one for cheap.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hell, I have a spare I made that I can sell you at just above cost.

I'm not using the black one pictured in this thread right now. I can let it go.

[edit] It's kind of chunky for portable use, but would be great for desk use.

May 8, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 10
I just made a 3.5mm (1/8 inch) mini to mini and a 3.5mm ER4P to ER4S adapter. The mini to mini was a piece of cake but there sure isn't any room for error when you solder the 2 x 73 ohm resistors in to the jack plug for the ER4P to ER4S adapter!

I encased all the joints in epoxy resin for added strength an insulation and fitted the plastic tubes over the resin just before it set to ensure an absolute bomb proof connection.

Pinkie.
attachment.php

May 8, 2003 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks Mike ( Pinkie )

here we go
Whooooo
in the words of Daffy Duck
" mine, mine all mine "
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2003 at 2:48 AM Post #10 of 10
Radio shack sells one pretty cheap, with decent gold connectors. It is pictured on this page:
Radio Shack mini cable about halfway down.
Not sure about the mod - anyone want to comment or know specifics? I have one of these cables myself and wondering if the resistors make it better, or is this just for the ER4s??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back