Cheap LOD?
Jan 5, 2012 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Bovice

Head-Fier
I'm trying to look for a cheap LOD for my Ipod classic.

I've been through 3 Fiio L1 and one Fiio L3.

They don't take too kindly to being carried around in pocket.

How does the L9 fare

and how would something like this work?

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/iphone-iphone-3g-ipod-data-port-to-usb-3-5mm-audio-jack-adapter-16177

would something like that be of comparable sound quality?

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 18

So you broke both the L1 and L3? I figure both those LODs are very sturdy. I can't say the Same for my Sansa Fuze LOD from Fiio. The cover keep falling off of them. I pretty much gave up on that and just super glue it when it comes apart...
Quote:
I'm trying to look for a cheap LOD for my Ipod classic.

I've been through 3 Fiio L1 and one Fiio L3.

They don't take too kindly to being carried around in pocket.

How does the L9 fare

and how would something like this work?

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/iphone-iphone-3g-ipod-data-port-to-usb-3-5mm-audio-jack-adapter-16177

would something like that be of comparable sound quality?

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 18
Well, the way my amp is designed the wire is always bent as far as it can go, so yea, they only last me 3-4 months each.

Since I put it on my bocket my ipod sits on top of my amp instead of being able to lay them out long ways where I don't have to bend the wire.

I guess they just don't hold up to it.  After a while the sound in the left ear goes out then it dies all together.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 18
I went through several LOD's looking for the right combination of sound quality and durability and have been very happy with a LOD from Ram Electronics.  www.ramelectronics.net   Look for it in the directory on the left margin of the 1st page of the website under ipod/MP3 cables.   Item # IFEPDM1, can be made in various lengths.  Mine is 6 inches, cost $18.14 plus shipping and is used between my IPOD 160G Classic and a Ray Samuels P51 portable amp.  I travel a lot and after almost 2 years of heavy use in airplanes and hotels, etc. this LOD is in perfect shape.  Also sounds a lot better than the other more expensive LOD's I tried from such vendors as Whiplash and ALO.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
Well, the way my amp is designed the wire is always bent as far as it can go, so yea, they only last me 3-4 months each.

Since I put it on my bocket my ipod sits on top of my amp instead of being able to lay them out long ways where I don't have to bend the wire.

I guess they just don't hold up to it.  After a while the sound in the left ear goes out then it dies all together.

Maybe the L9 could work since its made at an angle so you won't stress the cable.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
Alright, thanks guys.

Any opinions on that adapter I linked?

I'm not really sure as I never owned it. Looks kinda cheaply made though. It could work and since its cheap in price maybe you should give it a go. But did you look at the Fiio L9. It looks like its a side adapter so it shouldn't have the strain in your pocket?

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 18
yea, I've seen the L9

Here's a visual though

My Ipod/Amp sit like this in my pocket

Even if it comes out of the side, i'm still going to have to bend it back/around to get it in the aux...

or do you think I'd be able to arrange that w/o much stress on the wire?

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 18
From the looks of this picture, the stress should be much less. You could always opt for one of those more expensive offerings but I'm not really sure if its worth the price premium...

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #12 of 18
Will do
Yay for amazon prime.  Looks like I'll be getting these on the same day my ATH-M50s come back from getting repaired.

Been using these Target headphones since September, it's about time I got my rig back up and running

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Will do
Yay for amazon prime.  Looks like I'll be getting these on the same day my ATH-M50s come back from getting repaired.

Been using these Target headphones since September, it's about time I got my rig back up and running

Since getting my Studio V there's really no need for me to lug around my UHA4 anymore. Not to mention is 85+ hour battery life with FLAC. Its dedicated Class A amp that sounds like the RSA Mustang :). The ability to use this amp as a portable amp as well for other DAPs and such. Simple UI with tactile buttons. And brushed aluminum makes this DAP both beautiful and hardy. I was lucky to get it half off at $175.00 on the Christmas sale Hi sound had. They are having auction though right now on headfi.

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #15 of 18
If this is still a problem I would recomend buying an LOD from Trends Audio.  They make great quality products for a relatively low price. 

http://www.trendsaudio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=191&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=71&lang=en

I have also recommend this seller on ebay (http://myworld.ebay.com/fonebone230/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754).  I bought a $30 LOD from him over a year ago and it has held up extremely well and I carry my setup in my pocket a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back