cheap LOD, or useless ?
Sep 5, 2008 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

life-fi

New Head-Fier
Sep 6, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by life-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was wondering if this ( DealExtreme: $5.46 3.5mm Stereo Audio Jack/Data Port Adapter for iPod Nano3/Classic/Touch/iPhone (Premium) ) would be just as good as using other similar products that are two or three times as expensive, and dont have free shipping like this site. frankly i'm not even sure if i would be able to pulg an amp into this, it's advertised as an "AV line out" i have no reason to believe it should'nt be good but i just wanted to double check on here

Looks fine to me and you just need a lead with a mini jack at one end and two RCA leads at the other - construction looks slightly flimsy but should be okay...

Sep 6, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 7
It would likely work but I doubt it's going to last very long. And I'm not sure it would be good for the long-term health of your iPod. The jack's directly connected to the dock connector. Lacking even a short length of cable that thing looks like a rather nice lever. No telling what would break if that adapter took a good blow while plugged into your iPod.

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by roger_s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would likely work but I doubt it's going to last very long. And I'm not sure it would be good for the long-term health of your iPod. The jack's directly connected to the dock connector. Lacking even a short length of cable that thing looks like a rather nice lever. No telling what would break if that adapter took a good blow while plugged into your iPod.

My LODs are even shorter than that without a flying lead, having a socket for a cable instead and they have never given me any cause for worry. You would have to be superbly clumsy to damage your ipod with such an arrangement as the pins on the ipod are several mm inside the conector.

The connector does look somewhat flimsy but I dont fear damage , I have just ordered one myself ...

Sep 8, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 7
I've been eyeing this cheap LOD, will its flimsiness effect its quality?

How significant is quality between LODs? can't find a faq on this.

Sep 9, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Infoseeker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been eyeing this cheap LOD, will its flimsiness effect its quality.

How significant is quality between LODs? can't find a faq on this.

I would not call that cheap for a start, mine were $12 (x2) and $6 respectively. Sound quality should not be compromised as long as the connection is sound. The mini-jack end looks pretty substantial. The Dock end *is* a sight bodge, they have taken the standard round moulding and slid in some flat cable with spacers to fill the gap. Again this is unlikely to affect sound quality and as long as you do not pull on the cable or strain it too much I do not see any issues.

I have two LODs from this seller and they both work fine - but mine are the older design without the flying lead and with a socket on the Dock for a mini jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back