Cheap Laptop sound upgrade?
Oct 15, 2011 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BenAdamson

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I was wondering how it would be best to upgrade my laptop's audio. I can hear a little static while my headphones are plugged into the headphone jack. I hear that there are USB devices called DACs that bypass all of that. Would a USB DAC mean that the sound is unaffected by anything else? I am playing FLAC files. I want to spend as little money as possible while still getting a decent quality DAC.

How much money would I have to spend to get audio that would be better than my Sansa Clip+, and what devices do you recommend as a solid entry level DAC?

Thanks,
Ben

Oct 15, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 5
Clip+ has surprisingly good sound quality for the price.  Many cheaper USB DACs will do worse driving headphones.  What do you consider entry level?  Better than the Clip+ would be the FiiO E7, though people say the newer E10 is superior.  Those are around $80.  I'm not sure if there's anything cheaper that will actually beat a Clip+.

A USB DAC would mean you're bypassing the noisy integrated audio implementation in your laptop, so the sound will only depend on the DAC (and to some small extent, the quality of power provided by the computer from the USB port, for cheaper USB DACs that do not take power from the wall).  I think that's what you mean by "unaffected by anything else."

Most USB DACs include an integrated headphone amplifier, like the ones mentioned.  Really, it's a DAC + amp, but people still say "USB DAC" regardless.  You need something with an amp or a separate amp.

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 5
Hmm, yeah the E7/E10 seem to be the best offerings.

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 5
I got a s/h headroom total bithead on ebay for 30 quid and it works very well with my net book which sounded awful before.Worth every penny.Always worth looking at ebay for last years flavour of the month.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back