Cheap keyboard to learn piano?
Jan 27, 2010 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

winnston

New Head-Fier
I've been looking to learn piano for a while. I'd like to get a cheap keyboard that I can hook up to my 13" Macbook Pro(so I can use them with my AD900s).

Would it be best to get one with 88 keys like an acoustic piano? I've heard you don't need that many but I'm not totally sure why. Won't allot of music have notes that I won't be able to play?

Somewhere around $150? I don't want to put down too much dough on something I'm not sure if i'll continue.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #2 of 8
Hi, I'm in the exact same position. I just ordered something similar to the "M-Audio Keystation 61es 61-Key Keyboard"

While not as good as a real piano, it has semi-weighted keys. Which basically means that it will feel a bit more like a piano than your standard keyboard, but probably not much more. Still a good feature.

Just do a search on it, and read the reviews, probably exactly what your looking for. And 61 keys would be plenty of octaves to learn with, as most songs to my knowledge don't require that much of a spread in octaves.

Have fun.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the advice! I think I might start with something fairly cheap then move up if I stick with it. I don't totally trust myself to stick with it as I never enjoyed music lessons as a younger kid.
But if I get in to it my dad would probably be willing to pay for an upgrade, as long as he knows his money won't be wasted.

We actually have a huge upright piano, though I'm pretty sure it's horribly out of tune and probably doesn't sound to great.

Jan 28, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 8
If you are not sure...start cheap. I started off with a Casio WK110 (76 Key $200 approx.) which had touch response but keys were not weighted. Used it for 8 months during which I went for piano classes in the nearby community college where they have the Yamaha Clavinova's. Eventually, started hating the non weighted keys in my Casio so sold it off and upgraded to a Yamaha P155 ($1000) last december. Now I am happy
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 8
You can start off on a Emu Xboard 25 that I did, its a midi controller. If your lucky enough to find one cheap.

But Yea I have the casio WK-110 my self from selling some sobe guitar I won.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by winnston /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking to learn piano for a while. I'd like to get a cheap keyboard that I can hook up to my 13" Macbook Pro(so I can use them with my AD900s).

Would it be best to get one with 88 keys like an acoustic piano? I've heard you don't need that many but I'm not totally sure why. Won't allot of music have notes that I won't be able to play?

Somewhere around $150? I don't want to put down too much dough on something I'm not sure if i'll continue.

You won't get anything at that price. Up it to $300-400 and you can get second hand a proper keyboard with fully weighted keys (Casio, Yamaha and others make decent ones). You have a macbook pro, you must have a lot of spare cash!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back