Cheap...Isolating?
Mar 25, 2005 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
My 12 year old son is looking for isolating headphones (or buds, canals) for his portable to block out his brother and sister while in the car.

Is there anything to recommend other than the PX-200's? I don't think he would have the patience to fiddle for that right fit all the time. Cheap is good as he is no audiophile. Thanks.

Mar 25, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 9
what about sony ex51's?

px200's might work. If you get earbuds or most regular headphones, he might end up turning the volume up really loud to drown out the siblings, which won't be good for his hearing. The sony's seal out sound pretty well. I think theyre about $25 at amazon.

Mar 26, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 9
Jmmmmm has a good point regarding about the raising of the volume. However, if you want isolation at a good price then do consider the Panasonic hje50 as well. They, like the Sony EX51 are extremely comfortable.

Mar 26, 2005 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 9
I agree with the 2 previous posts. But if you are keen on the likes of the EX51, I would recommend the HJE50 over the EX51 anytime -- better sounding, better built AND cheaper. And I personally find it just as comfortable. Just may be harder to find.

Cheers

Mar 26, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
EX51/71 aren't isolating, and you run the risk of him turning the volume up to drown people out and him damaging his ears. Ety E2c are isolating and cheap, I don't like their sound much but many do that they're cheap. Etymotic Er6-i are what i'd buy for myself.

NOT isolating? I can put them on and listen normaly during live concerts! (Well, I notice the bass shaking me, but for the rest, I listen quite normaly, enjoy some Linkin Park or something
wink.gif
)

I'd put the money on either the EX71's or the PX200, hoenstly I love the EX71's, but I want a real headphone, after six pairs of earphones (El Cheapo integrated Key Cord, Philips 15 buck things, Senn MX400, The Plug, Philips 5 buck thing, EX71), so personaly my bet goes on PX200.

Mar 26, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PDream
NOT isolating? I can put them on and listen normaly during live concerts! (Well, I notice the bass shaking me, but for the rest, I listen quite normaly, enjoy some Linkin Park or something
wink.gif
)

I'd put the money on either the EX71's or the PX200, hoenstly I love the EX71's, but I want a real headphone, after six pairs of earphones (El Cheapo integrated Key Cord, Philips 15 buck things, Senn MX400, The Plug, Philips 5 buck thing, EX71), so personaly my bet goes on PX200.

lol, you could have just saved all the money and got urself a e2c/e3c
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 9
the ex51/71's are canalphones, and are isolating. not as much as ety's or shures, but they isolate sound quite a bit.

people on head-fi have a distorted view of 'cheap'. $60 for headphones is unthinkable for 98% of the population, and is a ridiculous amount to pay for a 12 year old.

$25 is probably more than it's worth, imo, but it might be better because they isolate. i'd also say koss the plug, but they might be a little harder to insert.

Mar 27, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
$25 is probably more than it's worth, imo, but it might be better because they isolate. i'd also say koss the plug, but they might be a little harder to insert.

Hate to jack the thread, but how does the bass on the koss plugs compare to the bass on the ex51/71 ? I know i hate the plugs because the bass is just soooo overwhelming and floppy/muddy. There just isnt any deffinition between a 20hz bass thud and a 100hz bass thud, not to mention even on a song with nothing but highs that crappy bass somehow works its way in to ruin things...i hate them with a passion.
rolleyes.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

PS. they are also very tricky to insert and when you do they pop out VERY easily

Users who are viewing this thread

Back