cheap, isolating earbuds to tide me over
Feb 22, 2005 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gigabomber

500+ Head-Fier
Need some decent buds to tide me over 'til i make a decision on the audiophile level equipment. Would like some isolation along with the decent quality.
So far the koss plug, sony ex71 and Panasonic RP-HJE50 are the ones i am looking at, all around 20 bucks and at 16 ohms nominal. going to be running them out of iaudio m3l so 16 is the magic number. Got any advice? preferences? other brands? anything (almost)?
Thanks

Feb 22, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigabomber
Need some decent buds to tide me over 'til i make a decision on the audiophile level equipment. Would like some isolation along with the decent quality.
So far the koss plug, sony ex71 and Panasonic RP-HJE50 are the ones i am looking at, all around 20 bucks and at 16 ohms nominal. going to be running them out of iaudio m3l so 16 is the magic number. Got any advice? preferences? other brands? anything (almost)?
Thanks

I've used the sony ex-71 and the Koss plug. I like the Sony ex-71 better (better ergonomics, and sounds a bit better), but they are a bit more expensive then the Koss Plugs (about 10 bucks more or so).

From what I've read, a lot of people like the Panasonic RP-HJE50's though.

Also, if you prefer a Y cable instead of the ones that are behind the back (IE, the left side is shorter than the right side), Out of the three you mentioned, Koss are the only ones that are Y cabled.

A note about the Koss Plugs, they aren't horrible, especially for it being so cheap. But they pump out an unusual amount of bass, way too much at times. With my Creative Zen Micro, I had to put my EQ using the Acoustic setting, otherwise the bass is overpowering and muddies the highs and mids. Also, compared to the ex-71's, the Plug is absolute pain to put in correctly.

The ex-71's were okay, but I was extremely annoyed about two things about it's design:

1) You have to use the extension cord that comes with it unless you're using a music player in your front pocket, which makes the cord way too long.

2) The outside rubber on the left bud itself cracked within 4 weeks of use, as it's made of soft flexible rubber. Sorta annoying.

The sounds was decent enough. Nothing to complain about really for cheaper earbuds.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 8
I have the EX71 and the HJE50.

I got the Koss Plug and returned it the next day because I had a tough time getting it into my ears, and it was all bass and little else. I think you would need massive EQ'ing to get some acceptable sounds out of them, and even then they would still not be as good as the other two.

The EX71 is "ok", but I think the HJE50 is much better. I just posted a long reply in an earlier thread regarding the EX71 and HJE50 :

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/archi.../t-107757.html

Cheers

Feb 23, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 8
Between the EX71 and HJE50, I would get the latter anytime. But between the HJE50 and the MD33, I think I'd go for the MD33 too -- although I've not heard it -- because of some other people's comparisons between the two..... I think it costs a bit more than the HJE50, but that doesn't seem to be a factor in your case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back