Cheap isolating canalphones?
Feb 23, 2007 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

MaZa

Headphoneus Supremus
I have decided to tip my toe on IEM world, cuz I really need isolation for bus trips and such. K81DJ doesnt cut it, not to mention their bulky size... So what kind of cheap IEMs there are on the market and what they sound like? Anything that would fit in my taste?

There are marshmallows, then there are some creatives... but I dont know anything about their isolation and their sound. Then there are Jays D-Jays which seem very interesting. Grado-like sound in IEM, but they are too pricey ATM, cuz im saving for Ultrasone Proline 750. So 50€ is a max im willing to spend.

Feb 23, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 42
Actually just noticed that a Tekniikan Maailma magazine had a test of canalphones. AKG K324P seems very interesting (Got 3 stars). They said that they sound about exactly same as CX300, (3 stars too) but are 30€ cheaper. JBL 220 was very similar too, so they said they are like from same breed or something.

On side note, Marshmallows only got 1 star (well, they are not worth of the price they ask here in Finland. 30€/50$ or something) AND Bose Triport IE got NO STARS, LMAO!!! They pretty much sucked in their opinion. Creative EP635 also got no stars, but I think their was faulty cuz they said that bass was powerless and sound was thin. Sounds like nothing what little I have readed about them.

Feb 23, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They said that they sound about exactly same as CX300, (3 stars too) but are 30€ cheaper.

Wow! CX300s must be very expansive in Finland. Most other countries have the CX300s for the equivalent of 30 euroes.

Feb 23, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! CX300s must be very expansive in Finland. Most other countries have the CX300s for the equivalent of 30 euroes.

EVERYTHING is overpriced here due to insane taxes and greedyness of dealers.
The prices they used as basis are sort of average estimates and dont necessarily reflect the real street price. While they said CX300 price as 80, it really is about 50€-60€ region. And true price of those AKG's are here about 40-50€.

Feb 23, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 42
Hi MaZa,
try this USD$32

Prodpic(1).jpg

http://www.hardwarezone.com/news/view.php?id=6387

review at http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/414989/+40

[size=xx-small]Koss KSC75 vs Crossroad Mylar One....

High Frequency

the high is definately higher than KSC75, somehow is really high to somehow u can fell the power of the singer....as i m a loud listener....so i feel a bit of supprise with the high as i m not prepared on it... :p ..when this song come back to KSC75...it doesnt make me supprise again as i cant feel the high at all...so with this baby i know wat is the DIFFERENCES of High...

Mid-range
the midrange for this baby is nice as i could tell u..but one thing i could tell u is....u cna feel the scrath of the guitar sound clearly....do u all get wat i means...this is the thing i wan to tell u and this is the second suprise for me....i thought oni those high-end headphone oni came with this sounds....but then this baby have it as well...
tongue.gif
eace:
tongue.gif
eace:

Low Frequency
if u are a bass lover...i would tell u this is not ur tastes as i felt this baby doesnt simply come out with a lot/plenty of bass...the bass is tight and sorry to tell again....Koss totaly no fight....bass is nice for a music listener or audiophiles...not for DISCO man.....the bass is jz nice for me and i would not listen to a lot of basssss........for music....is really more than enough....

Seperation
the seperation is nicer than KSC75....sory i really dont mean to condem KOSS...sorry...this baby make me feel the seperated for the music instrucment...with the giutar u can really feel it is a guitar...or either a piano....and another suprises is the instrument of Low frequency...like the Big Drum..u really can feel it and it is nice like real..the Third supprises....The seperation of Music instrument...is really like right infront of u....especially for all the Drums...either low or high...

Colourful of Music
when i listen to this baby...and i change back to Koss..no doubt...i feel down again...is too much of differences....it is some source like MS2i...got a bit of touching...because u can feel the story....but not as much like MS2i...tat one 1k plus leh....

Conclusion
With this prices....RM130(second Batch onwards)..it worth its prices....the sound is bright..but a bit of dark(first trying)..but afterthat.....u will never fell any dark....this is wat i felt...with this much of Suprises...i deciede to buy one of this BABY.....and i think i may choose this which compare to CX300...as SENXXxER somehow is like "eat brand".. :stars: :stars:

this is jz my own opinion...wish this reviews help u all.....
[/size]

Feb 23, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 42
Maza have you considered having someone from the US buying you what you'd like and then just shipping it to you? Would you avoid any taxes this way? You've got an established history on the forum why not ask someone else who's been around for a while?

Feb 23, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 42
Marshmallows aren't that bad, actually. Sure, the stock foamies are terrible and the sound is _really_ bassy, but modding really helps. And if I remember correctly, the creative ep-630 is about the same as senn's cx300 and all the other similar looking things. Perhaps the testers just had a faulty pair or didn't get them to fit right.

The latest issue of TM, you said? Perhaps I should buy that and read the article, too.

And since you live in Finland as well, check out www.cdon.com. They sell many IEMs, and the prices aren't that bad. D-jays are out of your range, but j-jays are under 50e there. Shure e2c is 75e, if you're willing to go that much higher. I got my pair of E4cs there, it was by far the cheapest place to buy them. Shipping rates are fixed and under 3e, so that should not be a problem, either.

Feb 23, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom10167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maza have you considered having someone from the US buying you what you'd like and then just shipping it to you? Would you avoid any taxes this way? You've got an established history on the forum why not ask someone else who's been around for a while?

Then there would be customs hassle (its 22% here IIRC) and such + postage. I have played with a thought that it would probaply be good idea to have someone buy Altec Lansing im616 from US and send it to me. But as some of you have already noticed im not exactly conversation-type of guy so I dont have a friend-base here, and therefore I really dont know any US headfier that would be willing to do this, and more importantly who I can trust.

Quote:

I say; get some Sony ex71's... they really don't sound as bad as most here say they do and are available most everywhere.
Also, they look great.. especially the white one's!

I presume they use same casing as EX90LP, (4 stars) the test winner of before-mentioned magazine? They said that isolation isnt that good. Good for trains and indoors with noise, but not for noisy busses and such.
Looks are not important for me with objects that small, as long as they are not obnoxiously colored or something. PINK MARSHMALLOWS FTW!!!
icon10.gif

Quote:

Hi MaZa,
try this USD$32

Never even heard of them. Review was kinda hard to understand, but it certainly was positive.
icon10.gif
Only thing is that I doubt they are available anywhere in EU.

Feb 23, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Myyryys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Marshmallows aren't that bad, actually. Sure, the stock foamies are terrible and the sound is _really_ bassy, but modding really helps. And if I remember correctly, the creative ep-630 is about the same as senn's cx300 and all the other similar looking things. Perhaps the testers just had a faulty pair or didn't get them to fit right.

The latest issue of TM, you said? Perhaps I should buy that and read the article, too.

And since you live in Finland as well, check out www.cdon.com. They sell many IEMs, and the prices aren't that bad. D-jays are out of your range, but j-jays are under 50e there. Shure e2c is 75e, if you're willing to go that much higher. I got my pair of E4cs there, it was by far the cheapest place to buy them. Shipping rates are fixed and under 3e, so that should not be a problem, either.

Most likely faulty, I believe that too. But I think isolation was not a problem. They even wrote about it before the actual tests, about how important it is to get proper seal or otherwise the soundquality suffers, especially bass region.

J-Jays certainly are an option, but I havent seen any reviews of them and what they sound like.

Feb 23, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 42
Ah, correction. It wasnt EP-630 which they were testing, but EP-635! Dunno what is their difference though.

Feb 23, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

I presume they use same casing as EX90LP, (4 stars) the test winner of before-mentioned magazine? They said that isolation isnt that good. Good for trains and indoors with noise, but not for noisy busses and such.

I believe ex71s isolate more. At least I used them on the bus rides to work for months and didn't have that much issues with that. The problem with them is that the rubbery surface coating has a tendency to shred and tear and some people here have complained about the cable jacket disintegrating after a while. I got a large tear on the underside of the right side phone after about a year and a half. They still work, but look and feel nasty.

EX71 actually isolates more than its over-the-ear cousin ex81, though the latter gives a better soundstage.

Finnish Apple Store actually sold altec lansing's im616 and 716 a while back. Didn't see them there anymore. Etymotics, Ultimate Ears and Shures were still there.

Feb 23, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Ah, correction. It wasnt EP-630 which they were testing, but EP-635! Dunno what is their difference though.

EP-635 has a lanyard, EP-630 does not. At least that's the main difference, there might be some in the drivers as well.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #14 of 42
I really like the d-jays...
If Finland (suomi) is a member of EU, you do not have to pay taxes if ordering them from another EUland..
If so just look on ebay.de they have a wide range of products..

22% ?? amatuers we got 25 % :frowning2: in Denmark..

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the d-jays...
If Finland (suomi) is a member of EU, you do not have to pay taxes if ordering them from another EUland..
If so just look on ebay.de they have a wide range of products..

22% ?? amatuers we got 25 % :frowning2: in Denmark..

I feel sorry for ya. Well eBay is definetly an option. And yes, we are part of EUlandia...
biggrin.gif

And im sure I would love D-Jays too, but they are out of my price range ATM so Im wondering how close J-Jays are to them in soundsignature and soundquality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back