Cheap (ish) Headphones with Good Isolation
Jan 3, 2005 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dominator

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everybody, I've got myself my first job, so I'm going to treat myself to an iPod. However, I'm going to be mainly listening to it while travelling (e.g, public transit, car), so I need some phones with isolation so I can actually hear everything without turning the volume up and killing my ears.

What headphones would you guys suggest? I want earbuds/canalphones, not those big, bulky, over the head headphones.

Obviously comfort, sound quality, durability etc. are all factors, but the most important thing is isolation and cost.

Thanks guys/girls.
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 10
also, the Shure E2s - E3s are excellent and will block out pretty much everything around you... however, these along with the ER6s might not be ideal as you really cant hear what is going on around you.

I tend to use my Koss KSC35s when I am out around town ... they sound great are very light and portable (although larger then then ER6s and E2s) and they also allow you to hear a bit of whats going on around you.

When I am flying or just want to make everything go away I use my E2s.

Etymotic ER6 , ER6i ... run about $130-140

Shure E2c ... can be found online for about $60-70

and you can find the KSC35s and the newer models at www.koss.com which I cant link from... they run from about $20-30

This site is a great resource that should aid in your headphone search HeadphoneReviews try the headphone wizard and see what you come up with.

Jan 3, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 10
dominator indicated that he wanted canal phones and good isolation, so the koss aren't really suitable.

ER6i are $120 from buy.com, use froogle.com to find the best deals.

Shure vs Etymotic is a common topic around here. Shure canal phones tend to have rolled off highs, which I personally don't like, but good bass. Etys are meant to be cleared but have less bass - but still enough. Make sure you buy from somewhere that will accept returns - the head-fi sponsors are good for that, usually.

Jan 3, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
dominator indicated that he wanted canal phones and good isolation, so the koss aren't really suitable.

ER6i are $120 from buy.com, use froogle.com to find the best deals.

Shure vs Etymotic is a common topic around here. Shure canal phones tend to have rolled off highs, which I personally don't like, but good bass. Etys are meant to be cleared but have less bass - but still enough. Make sure you buy from somewhere that will accept returns - the head-fi sponsors are good for that, usually.

Hmm, well, I live in Canada, so that's a bit of a problem. However, I checked the ety website, and there seem to be some places that sell them, one of them is in fact only a 15 minute drive from my house, so maybe I'll phone them and get it from there.

Now, the website doesn't list an isolation level for the er6i's, it's only got an estimate which seems to be about 22 dB. Does anybody know why that is (is it just a mistake on the website or something?), and, is this estimate accurate?

Oh, and I was also wondering what the difference between the er6 and the er6i are, since the er6 are slightly cheaper and actually have a definative value for the isolation.

I also looked at the shure site, which I like the looks of because they are a fair bit cheaper. However, unlike the ety's, the shure's don't have any sort of indicator of the levels of isolation they have. This seems kind of odd, especially considering the headphones are called "E2c Sound Isolating Earphones". Does anybody know how much they isolate (an actual value, or approximation relative to the ety's)?

Jan 3, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #6 of 10
The isolation of all the canal phones will be similar, whether they're ety or shure. The main difference will be the tips that you use. You basically won't get any better isolation than canal phones anywhere. Mayeb canal phones with some active noise cancellation.. but they don't exist AFAIK. ER6i will have plenty of isolation.

ER6 are the old model, ER6i are the new model, designed for use with an iPod.

Jan 3, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
The isolation of all the canal phones will be similar, whether they're ety or shure. The main difference will be the tips that you use. You basically won't get any better isolation than canal phones anywhere. Mayeb canal phones with some active noise cancellation.. but they don't exist AFAIK. ER6i will have plenty of isolation.

ER6 are the old model, ER6i are the new model, designed for use with an iPod.

Ok, thanks. I guess I'll look into those then.

The only thing is that I read that the canal phones take a long time to put in and take out of your ear. Are they a challenge to get in and out, or is it fairly simple?

Jan 3, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #8 of 10
The er-6i is specifically tailored for the ipod, and it supposedly sounds much better than the er-6. Also, see the flanges the 6i uses, it looks like it would have more isolation. The 6 only moderate isolation. A pair of earplugs has more. (ca. 30 db for the plugs)

One thing (perhaps the only) that the 6 has over the 6i, is aesthetic security (okay I made that up). The 6i is a white corded phone, which will often attract thieves and muggers (due to the white = ipod association). But if that's not a problem in your area, forget about it.
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dominator
Ok, thanks. I guess I'll look into those then.

The only thing is that I read that the canal phones take a long time to put in and take out of your ear. Are they a challenge to get in and out, or is it fairly simple?

not too bad once you get use to them... you look a bit goofy gettin them in and out but it is well worth it.

I would highly recommend trying them out before you buy them as there are some that dont like the feel of canal phones and or cant get a good seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back