Cheap IEM alternative for UE super.fi 5 Pros for active use?
Nov 7, 2006 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Riku540

1000+ Head-Fier
It’s been a long time since I’ve been to Head-Fi. ^_^ I’ve been satisfied for a long time with my UE’s but now I’m looking for an alternative as stated in the title. Reason being is that I’m simply paranoid about using my UE’s actively; I normally use them when I’m just sitting down or walking. I’m afraid if I were to use them when working (as in package handling, i.e. loading/unloading heavy boxes in a very loud warehouse) or working out that they might get damaged, lost, or stolen.

So far I’m looking towards one of the Sony Fontopia IEM’s, but I was wondering if there’s anything new out there or something I may have not been aware of before. The main thing I’m looking for is reasonable isolation. I tried listening to my iPod with the stock ear buds at my job once, but the background noises were so painfully loud (conveyer belts, machine motors, metal containers rolling by and crashing into things, etc.) and I didn’t have the hearing protection of my earplugs that I usually wear that it wasn’t worth it.

Anyways, my price cap is $50, but I very much prefer to go as low as possible (closer to $30 would be nice) as I already have UE’s, Grados, and audio-technica for non-active use and quality enjoyment. All I really care about is isolation and durability, so I can listen worry-free with my nice headphones safe at home. ^_^ Any and all recommendations are very much appreciated.

Nov 7, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riku540
It’s been a long time since I’ve been to Head-Fi. ^_^ I’ve been satisfied for a long time with my UE’s but now I’m looking for an alternative as stated in the title. Reason being is that I’m simply paranoid about using my UE’s actively; I normally use them when I’m just sitting down or walking. I’m afraid if I were to use them when working (as in package handling, i.e. loading/unloading heavy boxes in a very loud warehouse) or working out that they might get damaged, lost, or stolen.

So far I’m looking towards one of the Sony Fontopia IEM’s, but I was wondering if there’s anything new out there or something I may have not been aware of before. The main thing I’m looking for is reasonable isolation. I tried listening to my iPod with the stock ear buds at my job once, but the background noises were so painfully loud (conveyer belts, machine motors, metal containers rolling by and crashing into things, etc.) and I didn’t have the hearing protection of my earplugs that I usually wear that it wasn’t worth it.

Anyways, my price cap is $50, but I very much prefer to go as low as possible (closer to $30 would be nice) as I already have UE’s, Grados, and audio-technica for non-active use and quality enjoyment. All I really care about is isolation and durability, so I can listen worry-free with my nice headphones safe at home. ^_^ Any and all recommendations are very much appreciated.

Creative EP630 or Sennheiser CX300's in the Fontopia price point would be my recommendation... Do NOT get the Fontopias, the cables on those disintegrate very quickly. I highly suggest you visit Amazon and read the reviews on the Fontopias before buying. The cables react very badly to sweat and the cable insulation turns to goo over a short period of time.

Nov 7, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #3 of 10
Well, the newer FONTOPIA's are actually above average. The EX90 and the EX85's.

But the will not provide with as much isolation.

I would recommend:
Creative EP630
UE Metro.fi 2 (when released; only heard great things about these)
JVC FX55/FX77

And that's about it.

Nov 7, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #4 of 10
ditto on the creative ep630 or senn cx300. but i would incline more to the creative ep630 becoz of cheaper price ($25-30). unless you want the J cord design of the senn instead of the Y cord of the creative

Nov 7, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #5 of 10
For $30 - $50 in a package-handling situation, give the EP 630's a try.

They sound good for the money, they fit securely, they're very close to being as comfortable as the Sony's (same basic configuration), and besides cord microphonics, have been a pleasant surprise for many Head-Fi members. I haven't used my two pairs of Sony's since I got the Creatives in March (and I never had the dreaded cord problems) -- the EP 630's are my "expendable" earphones.

As for the microphonics, experiment with a miniature clothespin or an Etymotics-type plastic clip to attach the cords to your shirt -- should cut down on the rustling, assuming that would even be a problem for you in that setting (non-critical listening).

Nov 7, 2006 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 10
Wow once again, very glad I posted as it seems that I've fallen quite behind on my awareness of what's currently out there. I'm going to do some reading on these products and I'll let you guys know what I end up picking, as well as my impressions when I finally do. Thanks for the quick replies! ^_^

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 10
The Sony EX90 is above your price point, and so is the EX85, but they stay in the ear superbly well and have great sound for the price. They're not like the sibilant and muddy EX51/70/71/81 family at all.

You might also consider the V-Moda Bass Freq, which is exceptionally light and well regarded by many.

Nov 8, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMasten
Amazon carries the Sony EX51 for just few cents over 25.00 so no shipping (or tax depending on where you are), I find these very comfortable, just obviously not in the same sonic league as your SF5P... but my family sure likes em

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX51L...&s=electronics

even if the ex51 is priced at $15, i would still go for the creative ep630. imo sony ex51/71 has screeching highs and very sibilant. save your ears from them
etysmile.gif

Nov 8, 2006 at 10:14 AM Post #10 of 10
Majority rules. I placed an order for the EP-630's yesterday. They seem to be the best bang for the buck in my reading comparisons. I'll post my impressions when I get them.

EDIT:
Wow, just got them. I'll have to say the sound is much more than what I was expecting for the price. I wasn't too worried about the sound quality as these were to be used for non- critical listening, but it looks like it's a double-win for me. They are very comfortable and much easier to insert compared to my UE's; with those there's a bit of a 'sweet spot' and if they're not in perfectly they either feel uncomfortable or don't seal quite right. These should most definitely do the trick for my intended use. Now all that's left is to test the isolation vs. my job. =)

EDIT:
Finally got a chance to listen to them at work and they are the perfect solution for my exact needs! The isolation is just a tad bit less than my earplugs and with the music playing the loud noises around me are reduced to a dull roar. I can also listen at safer volumes. Once again, thanks Head-Fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back