cheap IEM advice? (New Zealand)
Dec 28, 2008 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

xacimo

New Head-Fier
Hi there,
I would like some advice as to what to buy for my next headphones. (IEMs)

Firstly, my price range is $100 US and under, I could go more expensive, but I would prefer to save money if possible. I am looking for something with REALLY STRONG BASS.. The sound quality needs to be decent overall, but I am not too picky, and what I really want is strong bass.

I also want a lifetime guarantee if possible, as every set of headphones I own seems to die prematurely, (I have gone through 2 pairs of CX-300s in a year).

Finally, I live in New Zealand, and the range of high end earphones here is not great, so if there are any Kiwis who can recommend to me stores that stock decent headphones, that would be fantastic.

Thanks

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi xacimo

there's only one IEM around that has a lifetime warranty and that's the Koss Sparkplug. Not exactly high-end, but the Koss lifetime warranty is serviced in NZ. Try Ferrit: Koss SPARKPLUG

Otherwise, everything else only has 1-2 years max, unless you buy one of those chainstore extended warranties.

Also consider getting a Fiio E5 portable headphone amp too. It'll give you a great bottom-end response. Contact details for CODA are on Ferrit...

Dec 28, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks Ernie, its certainly cheap (especially on trademe), and it sounds like it has good bass. The head-fi opinion of it isn't fantastic though. I think I will buy a set of these, they are so cheap that it doesn't matter if I don't like them. I am interested in getting another pair of higher quality IEM's for better sound, for which I would be looking for something that I could get in New Zealand with good overall sound quality. I am considering the Shure SE 110 and SCL2, or the Sennheiser CX 95 or CX 400. I could get another CX-300, but I dont think they are very durable, and I found that although they had good bass, I didn't think they were very good in the high frequencies. I will be buying an amp, I don't think the E5 is out yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back