cheap iem (~$50) that has good isolation
Jun 7, 2008 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

retic3nt

100+ Head-Fier
im looking for some cheap iems that have decent isolation. So far all ive come up with are the j-jays and the denon c351. What do you guys suggest?

one other thing, how well do the denon 551's isolate? i was interested in them but apparently they dont isolate very well?

Jun 8, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 18
the zune version 2 earphones sound great for 35.00. (the ones with the braided lines)

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #8 of 18
creative ep-630 i think is the name of the ones i got my friend for her birthday. she loves them, i reckon they sounded pretty good but i've heard the bass can bloat a bit. Although thats becoming common for IEM's :p

but they get good reception from most people.

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 18
The im716's get another vote from me. Really cheap, ridiculously good resolution. Not big on bass, though.

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 18
I'm very happy with my sennheiser cx300 for portable use. They isolate well and the sound is pretty good, but a little bass focused. They're also relatively comfortable. I've tried the denon c-551s but not extensively. They sound great to me and I was perfectly happy with their isolation. I find them slightly less comfy than my sennheisers. I do prefer the denons' y-style of cord rather than the j-style of the sennheisers. The 551s also feel classier!

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #11 of 18
IM716 with Shure black foam tips will isolate a lot, but really needs an amp to drive them. And if you replace the in-line pod with volume and bass/hd mode with a pair of 47 ohm resistors the sound is even better. They fit your price range, but again, they sound best with an amp.

I could not get the CX300 to isolate well for me at all. My Denon C7000 have fair isolation for listening in the car or bus, but not good enough for a plane ride (engine noise gets through). The JVC Air Cushion FX66 for $35 are pretty decent without an amp, and isolate just a little more than my C700, although not as much as the IM716 or ER6i. I've had ER6i and they lacked a bit of bass vs IM716, but isolate just as well when used with the Shure black foam tips. Even though the ER6i don't need an amp for volume, they need bass boost to be enjoyed, like with a Penguin Caffeine amp with bass boost or Headstage Lyrix Pro amp.

Jun 9, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll throw in a vote for JVC "Marshmellows" because they isolate fairly well stock, and they are cheap enough to allow you to do some tip rolling to find a good combo for you. Remove the earwax shield and they sound great for the money.

I thought that the FX66 AirCushion were better than the FX33 Marshmallow, so much that I gave away both pairs of Marshmallows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back