Cheap Headphones
Feb 22, 2005 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TomRemixed

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking at these headphones the SONY MDR-EX71SL and want to know if it has good bass or not since I'm a "
basshead.gif
Bass head"
very_evil_smiley.gif
. They are a great deal and the have a vertical plug(I don't know why I like them) and I've trusted most of SONY's headphones (not their portables). I've heard these were pretty good on a lot of posts. I NEED BASSSSSSSSSS!!!
basshead.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 6
they will suffice for the basshead in you.

Feb 22, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 6
Since you like the Sony MDR-EX71SL I think that you should really consider the Panasonic RP-HJE50 instead. I had the EX71 (after my EX70 before that came apart), and think that the HJE50 is better in EVERY respect, and costs less too!

Although they look fairly similar, and the flexible sleeves are interchangeable (virtually identical), the HJE50 fits my ears (and those of my friends) better - I get a proper seal instantly. It's probably due to the shape of the housing being slightly elongated compared to the EX71's.

The cable is stronger than the EX71's (which seem to be contructed of a very flimsy and loose-fitting rubber tubing over the wires -- they are very prone to ending up all twisted).

Sonically the most glaring difference is the much better bass of the HJE50 -- the EX71 and its predecessor are TOO boomy. The HJE50 has a plenty enough bass, but tighter. The mid-range is also better - the Sonys have a recessed mid-range. Highs are similar.

I think Sony stuff is sometimes overpriced just because of its name. The EX71 may have been mentioned a lot, but if you do some searches elsewhere you'll find a fair bit of comments in favour of the HJE50 rather than the EX71. And complaints about the latter's bloated bass and lack of mid-range.

I think the EX71 was better than nothing, but the HJE50 is better than the EX71. I bought the EX71 (and the EX70 before that) because it was the only reasonably cheap and reasonably isolating earphone around, which was also comfortable and which I could use in the office and outside, and even sleep with! (As opposed to my Ety ER-4S, with which I can't do any of the above - I reserve these for use at home and on the plane.) Now the HJE50 is my "general purpose", "bring-everywhere" earphones.

You could also consider the Sharp MD-33, which according to every comment I've seen also beats the EX71, but I've not heard them. It seems the one "problem" with the MD-33 is its 4-pole cable.

Cheers

Feb 22, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomRemixed
I was looking at these headphones the SONY MDR-EX71SL and want to know if it has good bass or not since I'm a "
basshead.gif
Bass head"
very_evil_smiley.gif
. They are a great deal and the have a vertical plug(I don't know why I like them) and I've trusted most of SONY's headphones (not their portables). I've heard these were pretty good on a lot of posts. I NEED BASSSSSSSSSS!!!
basshead.gif

IMHO the EX51 a better value. Same acoustics but a few $$$ less.
Bass-wise they will fill your head nicely, so long as you dont mind their piercing treble above 5khz.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back