Cheap headphones for iPod
Mar 29, 2007 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

aeidein

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for some cheap (no more than around $60) but decent headphones/earphones for use with my 5G iPod. I'd like some (but not complete) isolation, decent sound quality (better than these standard iBuds, which I'm sure almost anything is), and portability. They will be mainly used during walks around campus, drives, and downtime in the dorm.

I've heard good things about the Koss KSC-75s and even more about the Sennheiser PX100s, but they don't seem to be as portable as earbuds or canalphones, which I would really prefer. The KSC-75s, although not very aesthetically pleasing, are rather cheap. I'm not sure about the over-the-ear type phone, though, and I'm rather against the headphones over your head, like the PX100. However, if the sound quality adequately makes up for the loss of portability, I might be willing to give it a try.

How are the Sennheiser CX300s? Although they're a bit past my desired price range, they're attractive and look/sound (from the description on Amazon) like they'd suit my purposes well.

The Sony MDR-EX71s are much more reasonably priced, but many people seem to have complaints, particularly concerning the sound quality and durability.

Any suggestions, recommendations, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 29, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 26
Creative ep-630.I have been recommending these to a lot of people. You might notice they look like those sennheiser buds. Although I haven't tried the senns, I've heard they are very similiar, and the creatives cost only $30 with a Y cord. And they sound great, provide moderate isolation, etc...

Some may also recommend the JVC marshmallows. They are good, but I liked the creatives more. Either way it's a great improvement over ibuds.

Mar 29, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 26
The Koss PortaPro is also a great inexpensive phone. I've had mine for years and love'em. They are very tough to break and easy to carry. I just love the sound. Very close to the Senn PX100, but better IMHO.

I'm not much on IEMs, but you might like the Cerulean XLR from iSkin. If you want even better, check out the ATH-Em7GM's. They have a bigger soundstage to me than the Koss KSC-75's. Good luck!

Mar 29, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 26
After a bit more research and consideration:

I want earbuds/earphones, canalphones, or IEMs, and I don't like/want headphones with foam padding, ruling out the KSC-75s, PX-100s, and PortaPros. (I will probably get the PX-100s or KSC-75s for home listening later, but for now, I'm looking for something else.)

Cost is a huge factor. Though I'm willing to spend up to $60 for SIGNIFICANT improvements in sound quality, I'd really rather not spend more than $30.

The CX-300s are much too far out of my desired price range. Shame, because I'd probably buy them if I had the money.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Creative EP-630s. I like the straight plug-in and the Y-type cord. http://images.europe.creative.com/is...B/ep_630_c.jpg
I can't tell for sure, but in this picture, the part that goes in your ear looks like foam. It's actually silicon, right?

The JVC Marshmallows are very cheap ($20), especially considering that I don't have to pay shipping since I could easily find em in retail stores. How's the sound quality, though? I'd be willing to pay $10-15 more for the EP-630s ($31.50 + shipping) if the difference in SQ is great enough to warrant the higher price.

Some other notes about my listening habits:
  1. I listen to a pretty wide range of music, but mainly rock.
  2. I don't listen to music very loudly (around 30% volume on my iPod).
  3. I don't require a high level of isolation, but I'd like something that's just a little more isolating than the standard Apple earbuds.
  4. I encode/download all my music as V0 MP3.

Also, one more question: I store my headphones by wrapping them around my iPod and sticking the whole thing in my pocket, backpack, etc. Is this all right, or would you recommend storing them another way or getting some sort of case?

Mar 29, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 26
By signing up with TTVJ, you can get a $10 off coupon and get a pair of Grado SR-60s!
smily_headphones1.gif

That may put your wallet at significant future risk however.
frown.gif

Mar 29, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 26
If you need the clarity + portability, the Yuin PK2 is the way to go or get the Grados if you don't mind others listening to what you're hearing! Neither the lower end Grado's or the PK2's will give you huge bass if you desire that.

Mar 29, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 26
With price a consideration, I'd say get the EP630s. Because of their secure fit and semi-isolation, they should please you more than iBuds ... maybe a lot more. Maybe not the sound quality of the Yuins, but the canal phone fit is a good all-around solution for the type of usage you describe.

As for storage -- if you use a one-quart plastic zip-lock food storage bag, you wouldn't need to wrap the cords around your player -- the cords would be protected from abrasion in the plastic bag -- low-tech, but affordable. You could still loop the cords loosely around the player, I suppose, to minimize tangling ... but I would avoid wrapping any cords tightly (just in case).

Mar 29, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 26
Yeah, get those Yuin PK-2s if you don't really need isolation, but if you want isolation, then I say the Creative EP630s or Senn CX300s are the way to go, Both of these canalphones are nearly identical, but the EP630s are cheaper and harder to find.

Mar 29, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 26
For running I have found that for myself I need something with
a bit of isolation but not too much. I found that a IEM style
headphone created to much preasure in my ears when I
was sprinting hard and gave me a stuffed up head kind
of a head ache, that can't be good for the ears. Regular
ipod ear buds have the problem of too much wind noise
and I have to turn up the volume, music sounds like crap
and podcasts are hard to understand easily. I have ended
up using the JVC model above the Marshmellow they
were cheap but surprisingly good sounding (I prefer the
sound to their cheaper lil borther). Less isolation than the
'mello but for my purposes I have had no more headaches.

Mar 29, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeidein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bid on some Senn CX-300s on eBay and ended up winning them for $29 total!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEBI:IT&ih=009

Nice job! And it doesn't look like theyre fake like many have reported to have been bought off ebay. I was going to recommend ep630s as theyre almost identical to cx300s and a lot cheaper, but looks like u got the best deal possible.

Mar 29, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #14 of 26
i think ep-630s can easily beat cx300s at low frequencies and not worse than cx300 at mids & highs. considering price, good isolation & mobility, ep-630s would be a pretty good choice.

Mar 29, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #15 of 26
Looks like there are plenty more CX300s, if anyone's interested. And it seems I overpaid a dollar and a cent - you can "buy it now" for $17.99 + $10 shipping. Whoops. Oh well, I'm sure they're worth every penny.

There are several EP360s on eBay under the title "2 Sets Creative EP-630 inear Earphones for ZEN EP630" - apparently you get two for one, and it only costs $3 + $11 shipping, but they come in a plastic bag and look a bit shady...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back