Cheap Headphones and DAP = (music)Audiobliss?
May 22, 2007 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

robert1325

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm addicted to the sound of my px100's ... they are so musical and fun .

Having problems forgetting that sound while listening to my speaker rig ! Can't listen to the music , but can listen to the gear
plainface.gif
I've spent a lot of money ( for me a lot) on that speaker rig, with selling and buying stuff. Eventually the components became cheaper and cheaper and better. But looking for that right combo is soooooooo difficult. And then when I plug in my px100 's I go
orphsmile.gif

Anyone else with a similar problem?

frown.gif
Should I go all Headphones for my music listening?

Had to share this,
Robert

May 22, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I'm addicted to the sound of my px100's ... they are so musical and fun .

<SNIP>

frown.gif
Should I go all Headphones for my music listening?

It is an option ....
580smile.gif

May 22, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 5
speakers are never gonna be quite like headphones.

I do think, however, you have to spend a lot more (or work a lot harder) with speakers than with headphones to get really good sound. Especially since the Black Plastic Crap revolution of the 80's.

Amps are weak, speakers are tiny and unbalanced but come with a boomy, uncontrolled subwoofer. Just great.

There's a lot of audio joy to be had in 70's vintage speakers, but only if you're willing to find them and possibly restore them. I have 30-year-old ADS L810's that crush 9/10ths of what i can buy in retail stores. But they have never been completely trouble-free for me. On the other hand, my total investment in the pair is still less than $200.

For some real fun, I'm considering finding a pair of old magnepans.

May 22, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 5
if you are happier with what you hear from your headphones, then by all means use them instead of your speakers. sell your stuff and get good quality headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
speakers are never gonna be quite like headphones.

I do think, however, you have to spend a lot more (or work a lot harder) with speakers than with headphones to get really good sound. Especially since the Black Plastic Crap revolution of the 80's.

Amps are weak, speakers are tiny and unbalanced but come with a boomy, uncontrolled subwoofer. Just great.

There's a lot of audio joy to be had in 70's vintage speakers, but only if you're willing to find them and possibly restore them. I have 30-year-old ADS L810's that crush 9/10ths of what i can buy in retail stores. But they have never been completely trouble-free for me. On the other hand, my total investment in the pair is still less than $200.

For some real fun, I'm considering finding a pair of old magnepans.

I'm using Coax drivers at the moment, they are 15 inch
wink.gif
... But Since these are OB I don't get sufficient bass . Sure my speaker system sounds quite detailed and everything is natural. But the fun factor is not there !

Don't know, I really like that warm intimate sound I get from the px100's, I was thinking of getting allesandro ms-1's. ... but I need my speaker rig for movie viewing. It's summer , I'll take it easy !

Thanks for your response
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back