Cheap first amp and LOD?
Mar 5, 2008 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Elluzion

Headphoneus Supremus
I have an ipod 5g 30gig video. I just got my futuresonic m8's and was looking to get a cheap starter portable amp. What is my best option? also what is an LOD? how does it work and what is a cheap one to get? This is for my portable setup.

Thanks for any help!!!!

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 33
You have many, many options as far as an amp is concerned. You could go to eBay and look at CMoy portable amps - they're cheap and there are several reputable builders selling them - or go to the FS section on amps here at Head-Fi and find something in your price range. Take a look, research (search function), then research again before you pull the trigger
wink.gif

As far as an LOD that won't break the bank, I highly recommend the TURBO Diabolous LOD. It's built by Head-Fier TURBO, who is a great guy to deal with. Send him a PM for pics and a price list. He builds a high-quality, great-sounding LOD with some nice options without an obscene price tag.

Good luck, and have fun. If you get even more confused after your research (sometimes I do
rolleyes.gif
), just come back again and give us your choices and we'll help you narrow them down.

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also what is an LOD? how does it work

LOD stands for Line-out Dock. It's a dock cable that provides a line-out signal (bypassing the iPod's inbuilt amp, allowing you to use a good one)

Mar 5, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 33
How about the SiK ram din for a line out? Small, lets you power the iPod simultaneously.

SiK, Inc. :: ram din

$22 plus shipping.

I've used one for a long time to plug my iPod into a home stereo.

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 33
Personally i wouldn't go for a cmoy. Great little diy amps. I recommend going right for a MK1. The price is $119 and has a socket op for easy rolling, built in rechargables ect!!! And it will hang with MANY higher priced amps. You will be VERY happy for a long time. Plus David has the best customer service I've ever had, period. Plus if you decide to go the Mk1 way a high quality choseal mini is included. One guy mentioned hitting Turbo up for a LOD. Here is the same LOD for 1/3 the price
wink.gif
You get a free mini with it, but it is only average quality, but still free..

Sorry about your wallet!!!

LOD Here!!!

IPOD LINE OUT DOCK WITH STEREO JACK(BLACK VER.2)W/CABLE - eBay (item 290211706343 end time Mar-11-08 08:33:48 PDT)

Mar 5, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #6 of 33
^that sounds nice. What about a pa2v2? I'd rather pay more for a decent LOD

I like that MK1, I would be willing to spend $60-70 on an amp and $30 - 40 on an LOD

Update: Would an amp "TRULY" help with Future Sonic M5/M8's???????? (my new purchase <)

IMpedence is : 32 Ohms.......

Also I have an ipod dock. would using the Line out on it instead of my standard ipod plug for listening to music help the sound at all (without an amp)

Mar 5, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^that sounds nice. What about a pa2v2? I'd rather pay more for a decent LOD

I like that MK1, I would be willing to spend $60-70 on an amp and $30 - 40 on an LOD

Update: Would an amp "TRULY" help with Future Sonic M5/M8's???????? (my new purchase <)

IMpedence is : 32 Ohms.......

Also I have an ipod dock. would using the Line out on it instead of my standard ipod plug for listening to music help the sound at all (without an amp)

amps will help most higher end headphones. and when u say that you would rather pay more for a LOD rather than AMP, tats the biggest mistake imo.
its cause cables for sure will help, but not to the point unless u have a decent amp.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
amps will help most higher end headphones. and when u say that you would rather pay more for a LOD rather than AMP, tats the biggest mistake imo.
its cause cables for sure will help, but not to the point unless u have a decent amp.

well how do I know if an amp is worth it for these headphones? I dont necesarily need to make the volume louder, I want more crisp clear vibrant sounds....

What about that ipod dock line out question I asked?

Ok you are right I would be willing to spend more on an AMP

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 33
Also what about the PINT? i really like that amp. But again is an amp worth it for FS M8's? sine they are low impedence..?

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 33
Plugging your headphones directly to the line out on your iPod dock is not a good idea. You need an amp there to control the volume. I also think the line out is a much stronger signal, and could fry your new M8's. There are many more people with far more knowledge that can give you concrete info on that one. I really am still a noob!

I also have limited experience with amps. I've never heard a PINT, but have read plenty about it during my initial research. After reading tons of posts about the PINT, you will find a consensus (
eek.gif
amazing for this forum!) that it is a great amp at a bargin price. The used price would be even more attractive.

Like I said, I've never heard the PINT, so I am not speaking from personal experience. I don't want to sound like someone who has heard it all, but just want to help someone who is in the same boat I was months ago
smily_headphones1.gif

For the record, I use Alessandro MS-1 (32 Ohm) and Sennheiser HD580 (almost dead 300 ohm) and an Meier Arietta. I just purchased an iBasso D1 as well....I did in fact start by looking for 'cheap amps and LOD'....so much for that!

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plugging your headphones directly to the line out on your iPod dock is not a good idea. You need an amp there to control the volume. I also think the line out is a much stronger signal, and could fry your new M8's. There are many more people with far more knowledge that can give you concrete info on that one. I really am still a noob!

I also have limited experience with amps. I've never heard a PINT, but have read plenty about it during my initial research. After reading tons of posts about the PINT, you will find a consensus (
eek.gif
amazing for this forum!) that it is a great amp at a bargin price. The used price would be even more attractive.

Like I said, I've never heard the PINT, so I am not speaking from personal experience. I don't want to sound like someone who has heard it all, but just want to help someone who is in the same boat I was months ago
smily_headphones1.gif

For the record, I use Alessandro MS-1 (32 Ohm) and Sennheiser HD580 (almost dead 300 ohm) and an Meier Arietta. I just purchased an iBasso D1 as well....I did in fact start by looking for 'cheap amps and LOD'....so much for that!

Thanks. Well i was just wondering if it is worth the $150 to get an LOD and a decent Amp for Iem's??? with 32 ohm impedence? i really don't need an improve in bass, just sound quality and clarity maybe. Where else could I invest my money ?

Mar 7, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meier-Audio

Meier HeadSix

S² Audio: Dockit

S2Audio Stealth LOD

thanks for the suggestion. I like that LOD. dnt know about what amp

Mar 7, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 33
The Headsix is really popular right now, and it sounds quite good, especially for the money.

I originally purchased one from Dr. Meier, but decided instead on a desktop amp. Dr. Meier's customer service is sensational. He allowed me to return the Headsix and immediatly sent me the Arietta, before the Headsix arrived back in Germany. Nothing but praise for Meier Audio. You won't be disappointed with the combo suggested.

One reason I use an amp on my low impedence headphones is the ability to listen at low volumes, without suffering a channel imbalance. I tend to listen at really low volumes, when I try that straight out of an iPod, it doesn't sound good at all. The amp solves that problem (assuming the amp you purchase doesn't have a channel imbalance issue). The headsix worked great for that. Kind of funny, I use an amp so I can turn it down
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 33
I had to try the LOD solution, so I bought one of these from ebay

IPOD LINE OUT DOCK WITH STEREO JACK(BLACK VER.2)W/CABLE - eBay (item 290212408761 end time Mar-13-08 16:49:41 PDT)

The least expensive way to try a LOD I could find. Also, the adapter will let you use whatever cable you want - silver, copper, etc. Most LOD (expensive) seem to come with multi-braid silver cable for extra resolution. I personally hate silver cables and they accentuate treble. No magic at all with silver vs copper cable. Silver cables are brighter, hence more detailed, enhanced resolution blah, blah, blah. I've been trying my new LOD out of my ipod (5.5 video) and here is the sound change. Less bright and less punchy with a tad less volume. Funny, I had always heard that an iPod at full volume was equal to a line level source. I dont' think so, if the LOD is supposed to provide a line level source output, then the iPod at full volume is slightly higher than line level. Anwat, the headphone jack provids a crisper, more detailed (e.g. brighter) sound than the LOD adapter. It also sounds slightly punchier with greater spacial detail through the headphone jack. All in all, the LOD output "improvement" is now smelling like snake oil. I'm glad I only spent $12 instead of $150 like some of these bozos charge for a specialized LOD cable. It's basically a waste of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back