Cheap, effective portable amp
Apr 25, 2012 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RobustOrange

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I'm a little bit new to the headphone world. I know a bit about the cans themselves, but almost nothing about the amps. I need a little bit of help, I'm looking for an amp that will boost general sound quality out of a 8 GB iPod touch. I'm not running high impedance headphones, so it doesn't really have to be able to give much power.
Thanks!

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 10
You'll have to be more specific with your budget, listening preferences, and headphones you use.

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 10
Well, the cheapest transparent SS is the O2, you can DIY for around 50 dlls full PCB only and around 80-120$ with enclosure (provided it is not an exotic one), batteries and charger. 150$ when ordered from Epiphany acoustics or JDSLabs (and a guy named Mr. Slim also makes it, he has more options for the design I believe). It can deliver proper power to high impedances, and has no problems with IEM's as well, but it may be a little bulky and may not fit in your pockets (I have it hanging with a simple bag from my shoulder, and sometimes just carry it in my backpack). If the form factor upsets you, the offerings from Leckerton audio are all transparent as well (I am not sure about that) and are a DAC combo, the UHA-4 is thin and will fit in your pocket. 
P.D: Everything beyond transparent is snake oil in terms of fidelity SQ

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 10
Start out with an Fiio E5 $20. Get a feel for the world of portable amps. 
smile.gif

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 10
Another couple of budget performance amps would be the fiio e11, e10 (dac). Might have some hiss with low impedance phones, doesn't bother many with the music playing.

O2 as above

JDS C41 ($189) is another to read up on.

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 10
Why are you guys recommending the O2 for a portable amp?  It's too large to be considered portable, really.  It's more "transportable"/moveable than portable.

I've really been enjoying my JDSLabs C421 (http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=c421) with my iPod Touch and Sennheiser HD25-1 II headphones, but since you said "cheap", it might be a tad expensive.

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 10
I think Fiio E11 if slight treble emphasis (very slight) and slight bass emphasis (not so slight when bass boost switch is on) are what you are after.
CmoyBB if some treble rolling to prevent edginess, and some added warmth are what you are after.

O2 if you are trying to drive something more insane, like a DT880 600 Ohm, or DT990 250 Ohm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back