Cheap dvdp vs Regular cdp ???
Aug 23, 2001 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 8
That's a pretty big generalization to make, IMHO. I suppose there are exceptions, but my gut response is a cheap dvd player won't sound better than a regular cd player.

Aug 23, 2001 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 8
To second Jude, cheap DVDP will sound worse than a dedicated CDP for the same money.
With budget DVD players, CD playback is based on very cheap internal components and the sound is hmm not much better than a good portable IMO.

Aug 23, 2001 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 8
Many people believe that all cd players sound the same...I'm not one of them but I want you to be aware of this. What I suggest you do is listen to a DVD player and dedicated CD player with the same CD. Listen to some well recorded tracks for 15 minutes at several different volume levels...then switch to the other player and do the same...Preferably you should not know which player is which when listening. Then decide if you notice a difference and whether it's worth the money.

I have done such tests with my Pionner DV333(which is supposedly one of the better sounding cheap DVD players for music) againstMy Cambridge Audio CD6.

No Contest...Cambridge by a mile...the DVD player sounds gritty(like nails on a chalkboard in comparison). Instruments are not detailed...missing the edges. The DVD player brings the entire system down to uninspiring lows.

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2001 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks to all of you.... See RGA mentioned that the Pioneer DV-333 is one of the best sounding cheap dvdp......and that's the one that I have......but when I tried to make some tests comparing it with my Panasonic Portable.....plugging them to two aux in of my Denon receiver....I just wasn't able to hear which sounds better because the output of the dvd is higher than the Portables......2v vs 0.5 v and it sounds way louder than my portable......it would be easier to compare two portables or two home dvdp or cdp........

Aug 23, 2001 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 8
Yeah, portables have much weaker output than desctop CDP. This makes A/B tests tricky.
Besides, there are variations among desctop (are they called that) players. The standard is 2V but many manufacturers deviate quite freely. You may end up comparing a player with 1.5V output to one with say 2.5V.

Aug 24, 2001 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Well, the Pioneer DV333 is recognized as really good, but it's got more of a claim to fame on the transport side rather than the actual playback side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back