Cheap DIY Computer Speakers
Jun 10, 2007 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

dcheming

100+ Head-Fier
Since my KRK's have way too much bass for late night listening in my apartment I built a small pair of computer speakers to replace them for the time being. I wanted to keep this project cheap, but still have good sonics of course. With that in mind I decided to simply go with some 4" wide-range drivers, something I've always wanted to try anyways. I went with the Tang Band W4-1052SA and I'm powering them with my modded T-amp. Overall I'm pretty impressed with their sonics. My only complaint is that the top end doesn't extend as far as I'd like, but I expected that based on the driver's frequency response chart. Still not bad for $25 each though. For my next pair I want to use the W4-1320SD drivers since they have much more top end extension as well as cast frames.

Since I live in an apartment
plainface.gif
I couldn't build these out of MDF using power tools so I just used 1"x6" and 1"x8" pine boards to make it easy as possible to construct. They are built tall in order to get the center of the drivers up to ear height at my computer desk. I cut the cabinet pieces to length by hand using a hacksaw with an 18-TPI blade and the the braces were done using a coping saw. To supplement the two shelf braces I used 1" hard wood dowel in between them from bottom to top and 1/8" thick vinyl floor tile with adhesive backing from Home Depot provides a bit of dampening and mass loading to the low density pine wood. General purpose epoxy was used to bond the cabinet together. I still need to round over the front edges and sand things flat. The total project cost was about $100. Pics:

blankpiecescutkz5.jpg

bracers4.jpg

driverwindowvents2xj1.jpg

dsc01142ec7.jpg

dsc01146rb7.jpg

finishedspeakeruq7.jpg

Jun 10, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 27
you should try adding a tweeter and crossover (including baffle-step compensation). I like the Tangband Bamboo, but if i were to do a small minispeaker again, I'd go with an Dayton RS125-4 with a small tweeter.

Jun 10, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 27
Jun 11, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 27
Jun 11, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 27
What didn't you like about the HiVi's? Do you know when the new 7" is coming out? My timeframe is actually pretty close, since I'm finishing up a sub right now and when that's done I'm going to start work on the bookshelves.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 27
[noob] Can I buy a driver and put it into my Logitech 2.1s and improve the SQ? [/noob]

Jun 19, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should try adding a tweeter and crossover (including baffle-step compensation). I like the Tangband Bamboo, but if i were to do a small minispeaker again, I'd go with an Dayton RS125-4 with a small tweeter.

I just wanted to keep this project as simple as possible. I'm going to try the Bamboo drivers next due to their much better treble extension.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's really fantastic work for a limited selection of hand tools. You deserve to be proud of those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zer061zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Impressive stuff u have there, Derek.

Thanks guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotchaforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
your studio monitors have too much bass for night listening?

Is your neighbor daredevil or something who the hell hears bass from little studio monitors

The inner walls in my apartment have no insulation in them and the elderly upstairs neighbor stays up late reading. In previous apartments I've had inconsiderate neighbors watching movies with their sub turned on keep me up late on work nights. I don't want to one of "those" guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good work! I been thinking of making custom bookshelf/computer speakers too. I was thinking of these FE107E 4" SHIELDED FULL RANGE or these FE127E 4.5" SHIELDED FULL RANGE

I've been looking at both of those drivers too. The FE 107E looks like it's more controlled in the treble range than the FE127E. I've been debating between the 107 and the Bamboo since they're around the same price. It's a shame places don't have loaner drivers to lend out to potential customers to see if they like the sound before buying. But at only $40 each I wouldn't mind getting a pair of both for comparison.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[noob] Can I buy a driver and put it into my Logitech 2.1s and improve the SQ? [/noob]

I assume the amp that powers the little cubes is in the subwoofer unit? If so then you'd probably be better off just building new cabinets for some new drivers and then using the amp in the sub to power them.

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #12 of 27
Wow....DIY speakers have really inspired me....I'm going to do some more research and find out whats a good combo for me...

Ill probally post a thread when I wake up...but these look really nice...just clean up the edges, and throw on a coat of finish?

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #14 of 27
Where....do you find stuff like this...to learn?...is there a forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back